Router Bit Question

Fxguy

So I found a set of plans to make my own lincoln logs, which actually look pretty easy to make, but in order to do them, I need a convex edge router bit. I found this one from Rockler : http://www.rockler.com/1-2-convex-edging-router-bit

This bit would be perfect except that it is a 1/2" shank and my router is a Ryobi that takes 1/4" shanks. So does anyone know of a source for a 1/4" version of this bit or a way to adapt it to a 1/4" shank? 

You need more power and the 1/2" shank to cut that profile . It needs to take the profile in one pass, otherwise you would have alignment issues if you tried to take smaller cuts.

Great, so I need to replace my router as well as my bandsaw.... :-) LOL Was hoping to be able to get by with the router I have for a year or so. Anyways, I guess I will also take suggestions for a new router as well. 

Does your router only allow for 1/4 shanks or did it come with changeable collets? There are 1/4 shank routers out there, but generally the bulk can swap collets and do other shank sizes.

No, its a Ryobi R163 - 1.5 HP with 1/4" collet with a fixed base. Definitely going to take a look at the Bosch kit. Thats not a bad price at all! Especially if its getting some good recommendations. 

FYI, I have that bit and have made a LOT of lincoln logs with it... it works great.  But, if you don't care too much about exactly replicating the look of the "original" lincoln logs I think a roundover bit with a 1/4" shank would also work fine.  It would also make setting up your router table a lot easier.

• Like 1