Shop floor design

AndremG

OK, I've done my homework and searched the forum on the topic, but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.  Also, a caveat on what I'm about to ask is that I know nearly nothing about construction methods and costs.

I've just begun designing a carport/shed/workshop space which will serve multi-purpose as my first dedicated shop, storage for lawn and rec gear, and a cover for two cars.  My current shop is a 100 sq ft corner of a dark moldy old basement with no walls (half crawl space), low ceilings (6'5 at best) and a thin, cracked, broken up concrete floor.  Although I love the craft, I hate my space and consequently don't do much woodworking.  Also, the family hears everything (including coughs and other emissions) through the living room ceiling.

The workshop portion of the new structure will only be about 375 sq ft (nearly 4x the current space) and will never be a garage (too small at 14' deep x 22' wide plus a smaller bump out).  Since it will be mine just for woodworking, I'm willing to invest to make it a cozy and comfortable space.  Therefore, I'd like the shop floor will be something with a bit of "give" - like finished hardwood over insulated plywood and sleepers - rather than the epoxied concrete slab route. 

My question is ... would you (could you) design the floor for the shop area some 3" lower than the carport so that the finish grades are nearly level?  I ask because I'm planning on a 6' wide double swing out door for moving larger items in and out of the shop, so I can see where it would be ideal to have the shop close to grade with the carport.  I just don't know if this is realistic or cost effective.

It would be nice if the two floors were level. But you could always use a ramp or pneumatic tyres on whatever device/trolley/dolly you use to move stuff with to cope with any step.

I wouldn't go to the expense of designing in a 3" difference. It just doesn't make sense.

Lots of people have their shop levels higher than the outside and cope very well.