Laguna BS owners - you love those machines? is this deal I can't miss?

nod

Just happened to be doing my regular craigslist perusing and came across this. Are you loving your 1412 bandsaws?

I was hoping to pick up a thickness planer in the near future as my next tool purchase (and/or dust collection), but wondering if this is a deal I can't pass up?

I've been checking out Clist for a BS off and on (among other tools), thinking I'd try to stay below $300-350 to get me going with an older delta, grizz, or jet, but is this deal too good to pass up? I'm going to email him just to see what else he may have.

Woodie, I read that review. thanks. Everyone seems to like this saw. I was hoping to spend half as much. And I think It's more saw than I need at this point, but like so many other folks here, I'd rather just buy once. And who am I to pass up a great deal?!!  :blink:  

Driving distance is about an hour from me Tim. Good call on the try out. I'll definitely do that.

I emailed the guy, but haven't heard back yet. I'm really curious to hear what else he may have. I used to work on that rep side in action sports years ago. Everyone had the latest demo gear for a bit, then as the newer stuff came out or got a bit too worn, it was sold off at bargain prices. I imagine this is somewhat the same, but hopes it's not tooooo worn/roughed up.

Do it, nod.  For $350 you're not gonna get much more than a meat slicer.  I've had the 14-12 since April.  I'd like to tell you how great it is but I haven't even plugged it in yet. :mellow:

At $1,000, it's a solid purchase.  At $700, you almost have to be an idiot not to buy it, since it sounds brand new except for a scratch or a dent.

• Like 1

The let's-make-a-deal gods are working against me this week. Voicemail sent, email sent and this guy is non responsive. Another fella posted up practically his whole shop at insane prices, and by the time he replied to me, everything was sold (jsut happened to be the kind of stuff I've been looking to add). Tough week to catch a break on some sweet dust making iron. Hope you guys are doing better out there. C'est la vie. there's probably another deal around the corner somewhere

If it's any help at this point, nod...this morning I finally finished putting the 14-12 together, slapped a blade on it, tuned it up and made some cuts.  It's a sweet little bandsaw.  It has amazing capacity and power for a 14" saw, and it just feels like quality.  I really dig the anodized aluminum guides and the ceramic cool blocks.  Very easy to dial them in and they work great.  Tension and tracking adjustments are quick and accurate.

Can't comment on the fence yet because I haven't used it...this is gonna be a dedicated saw for curves so I probably won't use it very often if at all.  I have a 3/16" 4 tpi blade on it and I cut some tight curves in 8/4 white oak this morning...butta.

My two complaints so far are very nit-picky and minor:  I don't understand why the fence rail sticks out about 3-4 inches beyond the table.  I've already banged my hip on it several times when walking by.  That thing is asking to get hacked off and probably will.  Also you have to take one of those whatchamacallit thingies off before you can open the door to the bottom wheel housing...you know, those ratcheting handle things with a bolt on it and it tightens down the table...whatever it's called.  It's kind of a PITA to get the bolt started so it's a bit annoying they didn't engineer that out.  Fortunately I won't be changing blades very often, if ever, unless I need to replace one that's dulled.  Like I said, very minor complaints.  I haven't had much time with it yet, though, so I'm sure I'll find more...I always do. :)

Point is, I know spending a thousand bucks on a bandsaw sounds crazy to a lot of people, but the fact of the matter is that's pretty damn cheap for a decent woodworking saw.  I think it would be a great choice for the serious but semi-casual hobbyist and about the bare minimum I would want if I were to only have one.

• Like 1

All too common...the unanswered and unreturned Craigslist call. Seriously, I want to give my cash to you. Is that hard to understand?

seriously! at least the hand tool estate sale gods smiled on me this afternoon. I'll post my stash over in that forum. 

Thanks everyone for the intel. This guy poofed into thin air. No reply. And no, I can't find the ad. So I guess he sold everything, or the brass was like, "what the hell are you doing?!" anyhow, These machines sure look sweet. I'll be keeping it on my wish list if money allows in the future. I know a few of the retailers have been offering them at a small discount of MSRP.