Woodworking Class Etiquette

wouldwurker

I found out a friend of my uncles is colorblind... and while it wasn't in a class, it was in a situation very similar to what you described.  Everybody couldn't figure out why he kept bringing up the 'red' issue until he later asked something direct.  (It was a situation where we kept saying look for the red item, and he finally pointed to one particular item and asked why it wasn't being mentioned.  Yes, it was the red item.)

He's also a pilot.  He had never mentioned (or even given an indicator) that he was color blind.  But he did state that 'airline red' is clearly red to him.  Some people just learn to recognize the shade, some learn to cope, and others never learn.  I'm guessing which group your 'red' fell into.

As for the whistler, well, I've done similar.  Sometimes it's accidental, sometimes it's my focus technique.  (You know, get into a rhythm that helps you remember the process?)  Being loud.... can't offer much help there.

Lunch.... OMG.   Some of those raw squid and liver folks love to reheat their lunch in the microwave for everybody in the building to share.... Those are the days I turn rabbit and chew on carrots in front of the class.

The 'relating to my pen turning' person..... Yup. Me.  Sometimes, it's the only way I can wrap my head around the concept.  Put it in terms of something familiar, something I understand, something nobody wants me to talk about.  Then I get it.  Sometimes I drag this around too far, and I know others groan when I open my mouth.  I'm just trying to understand, folks.  Nothing to see.  Move along.

Doesn't mean 1: I was at that class.  (Can't prove it, nope, noway, nohow.  'Sides, officer, I've got 32 witnesses and a blind dog who can corroborate my alibi.)  Or 2: I condone this kind of behavior.  Knowing you do these things is the first step; learning how not to shove these things under everybody's fingernails is another.

Lastly, I once asked my youngest if he knew what it meant that we have one mouth and two ears.  The rest of the known universe might respond that they can tell which is supposed to be used more, but my kid has to be difficult... he replied that he "has to talk twice as loud to be heard."  

Shut me up for a bit trying to figure out a reply to that.

in college my roomate and i walked by a booth, screening males for color blindness for his research.  he asked if we wanted to participate.  he flipped the first card in the deck and asked us what number we saw.  while i clearly could make out the big red 6 (i think, it was a long time ago) in the middle of the green field, my roommate said "Number, what the hell are you talking about"  (or words to that affect).  Until that moment, he never new he was colorblind.

You know what, I was too harsh in my post.

I'd like to formally take back what I said about Christopher Cross. 'Ride like the wind' was a great song.

As for the rest of them, we're talking about the purest form of narcissism. Complete disregard for others and oblivion to how their actions may affect others around them.

If being annoying is your method of understanding or focusing, then don't take a paid class with other humans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few years ago when I was peddling MAC Tools I was demonstrating a new test light for electronics to a shop owner. I was showing him how when you probed a hot wire, the LED lit up red and when you probed a ground, the green LED came on. He ended up buying the tester from me.

His employee who watched the whole demonstration later said to me "Man! You are a great salesman!" I ask why and he responded "Andy is color blind!"

I later realized that the red LED was at the top of the probe and the green one was a bit lower....Just like a traffic signal! :)

Rog

You know what, I was too harsh in my post.

I'd like to formally take back what I said about Christopher Cross. 'Ride like the wind' was a great song.

As for the rest of them, we're talking about the purest form of narcissism. Complete disregard for others and oblivion to how their actions may affect others around them.

If being annoying is your method of understanding or focusing, then don't take a paid class with other humans.

I agree with most of the original post with the exception of no. 6.  Whistling, humming or even sometimes singing are not typically disruptive to the class unless they're being done during a period in which the instructor is trying to relay some information.  For me, it's a way to clear my head of the other distracting thoughts, subtexts or stressors that might be interfering with me focusing on the task at hand.  You may not be able to understand that but I am not you and you are not me.  It shows an extreme lack of tolerance on your part not to be able to accept the diversity of the those around you.  People are different.  It might help you make it through some of these situations if you put a little thought into why the other individual is taking the approach they are rather than just focusing on how it irritates you.

Where I do agree with you is when the other individuals are displaying behavior that disrupts the class or takes away from the others in the group benefiting from it.  My work has regular, once a week sales meetings in which we often have vendors presenting important information about their products that we sell.  There are two salesmen that seem to get bored with the meeting about the same distance in every week and every week they start a conversation or side meeting of their own that interferes with the others around the hearing or learning what is being presented at the front of the room.  It will change soon.

I do take quite a bit of exception to the post I've quoted however.  If you're totally intolerant of others and their coping methods, if that to you is narcissism, perhaps you're the one who ought to avoid taking classes and perhaps seek out a more personal one on one level of instruction.  Perhaps you're the one who has issues with playing well with others.  The internet and YouTube is ripe with opportunities for you to learn and develop skills where you can do it all by yourself without having to deal with the peccadilloes of the individuals that inhabit the world around you.

Just my two cents.

I completely agree with you. I am 100% intolerant of of anyone who chooses to sing, whistle, hum, and/or make noise, completely audible to those around them, in an otherwise quiet setting. If someone needs music to 'clear their head', they should put on a pair of headphones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Public vs private. You are showing colors that have everything to do with your personalities and nothing to do with propriety. In fact, many of these comments are vents of irritation that are offensive to me in practice, but tolerated as venting. Elevator music is ok, but a whistling man is not. Talking on a bus is ok, but if you cannot see the other person it is wrong. This is all in your head. Noise is noise. You choose to let it bother you. The lunch thing also is not a personally selected offense. It may be annoying but is not rudeness on the part of another. What is ideal in your home shop cannot be found in crowds. I worked in this environment for twenty years being held captive to the noise of others. I have days I need silence and days where silence is the enemy. I have no place forcing this on anyone else any more than they on me. So this leads me to a question. Did anyone reach out with the polite request?

These two comments are the ones I find out of context. I support your right to vent frustration. I do not support attempting to denegrate the other human beings. I believe it to be out of character with this forum.

Public vs private. You are showing colors that have everything to do with your personalities and nothing to do with propriety. 

It's interesting that you chose to use the term propriety, as that's exactly what I was referring to.

propriety - the state or quality of conforming to conventionally accepted standards of behavior or morals.

I think not annoying or inconveniencing those around you is a commonly held social standard.

Not whistling is not commonly held except in narrow settings and I quote: "Whistle while you work." In fact, would you remove your post if I found it an annoyance? What is the threshold for annoyance? You have kind of assumed that your standard is the conventional. What if not?(Do I get bonus points for quoting Disney?)

Not whistling is not commonly held except in narrow settings and I quote: "Whistle while you work." In fact, would you remove your post if I found it an annoyance? What is the threshold for annoyance?

As I said in my first post, when the person is in the minority. For example if one person in a class of 20 is annoying 11 people with there actions then they should me made to stop.