Hickory Tables

Wfd55

My son's daycare learned I did a little woodworking and asked me to build them a few tables so I couldn't turn them down.  We chose hickory, I went with rabbeted legs and an octagon apron for the round table.  With the help of many of you on this forum this is the results.  As a bonus for them  I am putting together a little picture book explaining the process of how I built them maybe it will spark interest in a future woodworker. 

post-15998-0-25872900-1410311642_thumb.jpost-15998-0-69973700-1410311658_thumb.j

Thanks for all the advice you guys gave me. The only problem now is my wife now wants me to make something out of hickory.

• Like 2

Thanks it is nice that the woman who runs the daycare appreciates the natural beauty of the wood.  It was a lot of fun building.  I really like the look of hickory as well. Although it may not have been the best wood to learn how to use some hand planes I picked up "ooh look at those pretty shavings Ohhhh S@#% how am I going to fix that.  Either Hickory is prone to tear out or my planes are not sharp enough.  It fits a mug my wife gave me a while back Woodworking 1/3 planning 1/3 execution and 1/3/ figuring out how to change your plan to cover up that mistake you made during execution.  Well epoxy worked well even adding a little depth and curl to the wood.

Either Hickory is prone to tear out or my planes are not sharp enough. 

In my experience, it's a little bit of both. Hickory does have some tendency to tear out, but it's magnified many many times by a dull blade. I just make it a point to regularly hit my higher-grit sharpening stones to keep the edge fresh instead of waiting for the tearout to be unbearable.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...