Dewalt 735x

..Kev

As my old Grizzly lunchbox planer is really showing some signs of near death, I decided to start doing my homework on the 735x as that will be the replacement.  I did the usual price checking at various locations and found some interesting stuff.  I thought I'd post it here in case someone else was also considering that planer.

There are 2 versions of the planer.  the 735x comes with the tables and the 735 does not come with the tables.  I want the tables so, only looking at the 735x.

My local HD has it listed (a mistake I believe) at $547.00

My local Lowes has it listed at $649.00 - This is the usual going price for this unit.

As Lowes also gives a 10% military discount, I called them and they will price match.  So, looking like a pretty good deal at Lowes but, they'd have to order it.

For grinns and giggles, I gave Grizzly a call (I have one local) who said they would also price match.  However, they also told me that the planer was going on sale on Saturday for lower than HDs listed price.  They wouldn't tell me how much lower but, I figure it's worth waiting a few days to find out.

Anyway, I figured this info may help some of you in the market for this planer.

Good luck!

I did look at CPO but, was primarily looking at my local options. Also, the prices were new prices, not reconditioned.   CPO had a good price.

Getting one for 50 bucks is a no brainer!  That's certainly a once in a lifetime deal.

John was right, the tables were for $50...  Here's a tip... The oem blades on the 735 don't last a long time, and it's true you can flip them ....once... It's possible to put a light hone on those blades, but you will need to replace them... There are several places that sell HSS blades for the 735 on the web, I bought a set from Infinity... they are thicker, harder and just as easy to use.  The run close to $80, but it's better than the original.

AZ is also at $547 if you feel like doing it the lazy tax-free way. :)  Keep an eye on them...their prices fluctuate constantly.  They try to match the lowest price anywhere that their bots find out about.  It's no coincidence that they're at exactly the same price as HD.

• Like 1

Thanks Eric..  I looked on AZ as well and they were higher when I looked.  Regardless, I'll spend the money locally when ever I can and go on line when I have to.

Absolutely nothing against Amazon, I've had great luck with them.  I prefer to spend my money locally when I can, even if I pay a couple dollars more.  Those jobs belong to my neighbors and friends.

• Like 1

I got mine as part of a layaway.  When I purchased it, I opted for the second set of blades.  When I paid it off and went to pick it up, they tried to give me a table instead of the blades.  (Since I was stuffing this into the car, I opted for the blades over the table.  Hindsight being 20/20 and all, I'm glad I did.... even if I don't have a table to put the planer on.)

I've been told the tables are available for the 735 externally as an aftermarket purchase/adaptation, but you have some extra work to make sure they stay level.  Haven't had to worry about that yet, but I'm sure I will later.  Something about not being designed with them in mind originally, I'm told.  I'll have to check at the DW place near work next week.

AZ is also at $547 if you feel like doing it the lazy tax-free way. :)  Keep an eye on them...their prices fluctuate constantly.  They try to match the lowest price anywhere that their bots find out about.  It's no coincidence that they're at exactly the same price as HD.

That's where I got mine from as well. Cheaper than anyone, and tax free (at the time). I'll entertain keeping the 'local' businesses going, but not at a $100 loss to myself.

• Like 1

That's where I got mine from as well. Cheaper than anyone, and tax free (at the time). I'll entertain keeping the 'local' businesses going, but not at a $100 loss to myself.

I wouldn't take a 100 dollar loss either.  I can get it locally for that price or cheaper from 3 different sources tho.  As I originally posted.

I got my 735x from woodcraft, it was $649 and came with a second set of blades. The only reason I bought it from Woodcraft was it came with a DW trim router ($149). I know I have seen that same deal at Woodcraft before a few times so if your planer can hold out until they run it again it was a great deal. The trim router is sweet but of course I am comparing it to my old HF one.