Another new homeowner question

pghmyn

Tiling isn't hard.  Don't tile on OSB though, that is not a good underlayment for it.  If you don't have a concrete floor, use cement board, or that new tile underlayment that that home depot sells.

I bought a tile saw a number of years ago, and it has been worth its weight in gold.  It looks like a small table saw, and wasn't expensive.  (Mine was made by MK Diamond)  

Hometime did a really good series many years ago on installing tile.  It might be worthwhile trying to dig up those episodes

I'm planning on doing my basement, and a friend of mine that installs carpet and flooring for a living recommended vinyl plank click together flooring for basements.  Basically goes together like laminate flooring but it physically like the peel and stick.  Water problem in the basement just means you need to click up the floor, let everything dry, and then put it back. 

My father in law just tiled his basement and pointedly does not recommend that as far as effort goes, and he remodels random parts of his house for fun!

I'm between laminate wood and tile, so those are the two options I have in my head. Right now, I am still swaying towards tile.

This is the breakdown:

85% tile 10% laminate wood 5% book-matched slabs of the most expensive granite known to man.

I have been pondering about possible layouts of the basement, and I think I am going to expand my original bit of my "man cave". This means more floor to get to the same level. Possibly a bit more of a pain in the butt for me. So an option DID pop into my mind of having a professional come out and do the floor leveling. Have any of you done this or something similar? About 400-450 sq ft in the shape of an L would be getting leveled, and I don't plan on touching the laundry room floor.

With what I see as the hardest part being done professionally, this gives me a jump forward having the starting block to my big project already done. Unless pouring self leveling concrete isn't that difficult? All the stories I've read so far said you have to work very quick because it sets up fast. If I'm doing this amount of surface area, I can't mix it all at once and just throw it down there.

How much time do you think I have from starting to mix to worrying about it setting? All I see is, "Can be walked on in 6 hours."

I think I could get a few wheel barrels full of this stuff and mixed up in 10 minutes, poured and beginning to finish under an hour. Is that good?

I ask in hopes of someone else doing this process.

I too agree with Mike.

I have finally convinced my wife that there are people who make a living doing larger projects around the house.

They do it FASTER (20-1), BETTER (much better than me) and in most cases, if there is a problem they can correct it sooner and cheaper than I can.

In cases involving plumbing, if you consider the cost of gas for 9 trips to the hardware store and money for specialty tools that get used only once and all the cussing and throwing of things that break other things (like windows and mirrors) it can be cheaper just to pay the price they want in the first place and not have to fix all the things I've screwed up.  

It has taken me only 70 years to learn all of that. Well to be honest, I figured it out in the first 30 years. :)

Rog

• Like 1

I have not found self leveling to be tricky. Maybe it is a background issue? I used to cast molds with hydraulic cement. That about killed me.

I'm not concerned about it being "tricky" moreso than it being too much to handle for 1-2 people who have never done anything remotely similar. Do I want to admit defeat and say that something is too hard for me to do? Not at all. But I feel like I know where to choose my battles.

Now in a perfect world, I would have someone from a company come in to do the work. But...they would have me help to reduce the labor cost. I am willing to do any required grunt work so they can do the meticulous skilled work.

I too agree with Mike.

I have finally convinced my wife that there are people who make a living doing larger projects around the house.

They do it FASTER (20-1), BETTER (much better than me) and in most cases, if there is a problem they can correct it sooner and cheaper than I can.

In cases involving plumbing, if you consider the cost of gas for 9 trips to the hardware store and money for specialty tools that get used only once and all the cussing and throwing of things that break other things (like windows and mirrors) it can be cheaper just to pay the price they want in the first place and not have to fix all the things I've screwed up.  

It has taken me only 70 years to learn all of that. Well to be honest, I figured it out in the first 30 years. :)

Rog

Cool, another old fart, with the right mind set.

Factor in what you do for a living and how that would be impacted by something like a back injury and you have your answer !

( it's amazing the cruel honesty that creeps into my posting after a long day and a couple of cocktails !) < Grin>

I lift pallets and a few thousand boxes for 12 hour shifts. If that doesn't sound like hell, I don't know what does :)

How about running sheets of plywood up a ladder to a second story roof plus 80lb bundles of shingles all damn day? :)

Ive done both, and I'd say it's pretty darn close.

I didn't have to do the shingles all day though. Guy was afraid of the steep roof, so he preferred to run shingles up while we worked on the roof.

There ain't enough cash in the world to make roofing fun.  Same goes for concrete and blacktop work.

I loaded trailers at FedEx through a good part of my college years.  I thought I hated every minute of it while I worked there, but looking back now, it was a great time.  I was in tip-top shape, had all kinds of laughs with the other guys I worked with, and they were just carefree days in general.  And it made me a master of spacial orientation...I can organize any mess that's thrown at me in about ten seconds flat. :D

• 1 month later...

Alright guys, bringing up this topic again to ask another question to add good information to my list.

I haven't done any work yet, but I have been recording all of the good information from the endless well we have here.

When I get ready to start drywalling, I see there are many types and thicknesses. What am I looking to buy for the walls in my living room? What mud? When to use those mesh tapes? Which one? Paper or metal corner strips?

1/2" drywall..

If you can afford the pro, then Eric is correct.

Mesh tape where 2 sheets of drywall with factory edges meet - Otherwise, paper tape.

Paper tape on inside corners - Metal corner bead on outside corners

Beadex mud

Don't sand mud!  Warm water and a sponge work better and faster.

When you think it's perfect and ready for paint, use a PVA primer.  This will show you all the bad spots and there will be some.  Good thing about the PVA is that if you have high spots, your water and sponge will still work.  If you need to add mud then, you can mud right over the PVA.

5/8" is what I meant.  I must have plywood on the brain.  The thicker the better, IMO.  1/2" would be fine, but who wants fine when you can have overkill?  I plan to die in this house, so I always think long-term when I do work on it.  Your plans may be different.