Another new homeowner question

pghmyn

5/8" is what I meant.  I must have plywood on the brain.  The thicker the better, IMO.  1/2" would be fine, but who wants fine when you can have overkill?  I plan to die in this house, so I always think long-term when I do work on it.  Your plans may be different.

I do not plan to die in this house, but I do want to do things right. I will probably end up using the 1/2" drywall. Not much wall to repair, so cost isn't the factor. Only about 12 linear feet of wall to actually put new drywall on.

I decided to take down the old drywall and go with new because I don't want to deal with sanding off the liquid nails all over the walls under the paneling that is currently up. That was a hell I don't want to go through again.

I'm really looking forward to getting these walls down. This semester has been long, and I just want to swing a hammer and relax.

Thought I would update you guys. I took the initiative to contact a professional company about the drywall. I asked for two quotes.

First, just to tape and mud. I would do all the hanging. $200

Second, a complete job. Hang, tape, mud, et. al. $350

I gave the dimensions of 8' ceilings and 15 linear feet of wall. I'm not sure if the cost is high, low, or average. I am going to get a couple more quotes, but this is a start.

I initially thought to do the hanging myself to save the $150, but what is $150 to have the complete job done while I sit back and let the pros do their job? Looks like I'll just go in for a day of overtime on Thanksgiving break from school to pay for this :)

Sounds reasonable to me.  I paid $350 to have my shop taped and mudded (not a word)...and I felt like I got a good enough deal.  That quote is very appealing if the guys aren't complete hacks.  Taping is an enormous PITA if you're not good at it.  And it's an art...takes lots of experience to get good.  Not something you master after a couple seams.

Hanging drywall is easy enough, but the ceiling sucks unless you have a buddy or two or you rent a lift.  I did mine solo with ten foot sheets, no lift...sucked.

1/2 for the walls, 5/8 for the ceilings, they make a moisture and mold resistant I would put in the basment. I have done lots of dry wall work, mostly smallish remodel stuff, when I built my house a couple years ago I had planed to do it My self, that is till a contractor offered to hang and finish 400 12' sheets for 3500.00. Hung and finished in less than 3 weeks

Sounds reasonable to me. I paid $350 to have my shop taped and mudded (not a word)...and I felt like I got a good enough deal. That quote is very appealing if the guys aren't complete hacks. Taping is an enormous PITA if you're not good at it. And it's an art...takes lots of experience to get good. Not something you master after a couple seams.

Hanging drywall is easy enough, but the ceiling sucks unless you have a buddy or two or you rent a lift. I did mine solo with ten foot sheets, no lift...sucked.

That's how I'm thinking of it. I tear down the walls, get everything all reframed with beam for openings, they come in and get it done with no hassle. No new things for me to learn. No clean up. No specialty tools to buy. No left over wasted materials I have to look at.

I'm going to talk with my professor this week and get his input on the beam I need to put in. It's exactly what we are doing in the class, so I'm slipping it in for him to help to give me experience. It's nice to have a P.E. available like this.

A bunch of years ago we added a bedroom to the house. I hired all the outside building done and planned to finish the interior. 

The construction took about two weeks including pouring the foundation, siding and roofing.

Finishing the interior took me and a few friends a year building closets and a bathroom in the space and finishing it out!

When it came to the sheet rock, three of us got it put up on one Saturday. When it came to taping and mudding.........I ended up installing paneling. :rolleyes:

Does that tell you something?

Rog