Wooden biplane for my son's 1st birthday

Dewald Swanepoel

A few months ago, as my son turned 1 and I thought it'd be nice to make him something as opposed to all the store bought toys he would receive. I decided on a little wooden biplane. Here are some pics of the design, the process and the final product.

Bear in mind though that this was done with only the most rudimentary tools (I didn't even have proper hand tools, let alone power tools). My original idea was to make it from a light hard wood like beech but in the end I decided that I'd rather just use MDF which is cheap and see how it goes. Maybe for his second birthday I'll attempt something in a better wood and hopefully by then I'll have more appropriate tools as well.

Design_zps9b68727a.jpg
Exploded_zps8c4817a7.jpg

The only tools I had at my disposal were a jigsaw, orbital sander and paint brushes. So this was largely a jigsaw job. The wings and tail find were fairly simple to cut but the compound cuts on the fuselage (4 layers of laminated MDF) would be a bit of a challenge.
Progress1_zpsaf3e5eaf.jpg

My solution (and I'm not sure it can be called a solution as it's actually just stupid) was to clamp the jigsaw upside down and run the wood through it like a mini table saw of sorts.
2014-02-01104949_zps08966a7e.jpg

It got the job done, although nothing as neat (or safe) as one would've been able to achieve with a band saw. I did impress on my wife how stupid this was and now she's much more susceptible to me buying proper power tools. Already got me a sliding mitre saw and I've got my eye on a table saw :)
Progress2_zps32ab86a7.jpg

The rest of the components weren't too difficult to cut
Progress3_zpsb2d2bab7.jpg

Some of the joins have rather small surface areas and I'm pretty sure that wood glue would not have held up over time so I opted to fix everything together with an epoxy.
Progress4_zps0f7795bf.jpg

Some coats of lead free acrylic paint later, an action figure with his lower body surgically removed and we had ourselves a toy.
IMG_4289_zps37fbd67a.jpg

Design -> Product
Perspective_zps7358463d.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks folks. It was a fun little project and really not something requiring a lot of skill.

I especially like the pilot. That was a great idea to add him. What did he look like with his legs?

Like this:

14284-1415862_P.jpg

Some scraping with a blade and a few touch ups with a sharpie marker got rid of the S.W.A.T signage and I slightly modified the helmet with a blade to make it look a little more like a pilot and less like a police man.

To be honest though, I was actually hoping to find something a little more cartoonish, for want of a better word. Something in the style of Noddy or Dora the Explorer or something like that. But in the end it proved quite a challenge to find an action figure that was the correct size and looked something like a pilot so I had to settle for this.

Looks great, and it'll be an 'heirloom toy'!

Tough part about the inverted jigsaw (I'm in that club) is that the blade isn't pulling the piece downwards, so you have to place a lot of downward pressure on the piece. Let it get away from you, and it'll start punching holes into the bottom of your piece....ask me how I know :)

• Like 1