Fireplace mantle

NTexRob

If you have read my member introduction, you know that I am an off and on woodworker. I have been off for about three years until my wife found something that made me blow the dust off the tools and put them back into commission.

Fireplace mantle that came with the house we bought two years ago. It was ill-fitting and not our style.

post-16119-0-86567800-1410445690_thumb.j

Fireplace she found on Pintrest that she liked and wanted me to try and copy.

post-16119-0-97932800-1410445753_thumb.j

What she got and was really excited.

post-16119-0-69221900-1410445796_thumb.j

When we bought the house, we decided to forgo the lazy box (TV), to give us time to do much needed renovations. I wired the new mantle for a lazy box. We live in the sticks and our only options for TV is satellite or antenna. I made my own antennae using a common item, and have 47 true HD channels, more than my neighbors have with their fancy antenna. The picture is also better than any cable or satellite channel. I also get channels that are not offered on cable or satellite. After living without TV for two years, last night when I hooked it up, my family got really annoyed with all the dang commercials. lol

• Like 2

Looks great.  The old mantel was cool but I agree doesn't fit a more modern living room and the proportions were wrong for your fireplace.  I like yours more than the one on pinterest, the oak looks nicer than the pine, in my opinion. 

The pine was definitely a little too rustic for our taste, although I do live on a farm. My wife likes to classify us as modern farmers, including house decor, and our methods of farming.

The wood was 100% free. I forgot to mention that. It was given to me by two different people. Everyone knows that I will take any and all "scrap" wood. If I can't use it, I usually burn it for heat in my shop.

I brushed it. I don't have a sprayer at the moment. We are looking at getting a sprayer, but EVERYONE has an opinion on which one and what type, and EVERYONE's  opinion is different, leaving us more confused. 

One of my next projects is going to be kitchen cabinets. A brush will NOT touch those. My wife has told me to buy whatever I need to paint them with. She actually paints everything, and I stain and poly everything. I HATE painting. I would rather shovel poo.

• 2 weeks later...