Sharpening Station...complete

Eric.

Awesome work....awesome crumb-jumpers! 

I love the draw bore joints. I've been rereading Schwarz Workbenches book and am settling on the French workbench that uses a lot of draw bore joints.  It gives a nice touch to a project. And the contrasting wood for the pegs, that's groovy too.

I'm a little envious of the blanket....I WANT SOME COOL DOWN HERE!!! :o

• Like 1

O agree that shop furniture doesn't have to be beat up, made from scraps or look ugly.  What better place to practice more intricate joinery that you may want to use in the future?!  The simple fact that it'll probably get more use, and more active use, than your dining room table in its self means that it should be a well built piece.

This turned out nicely and well worth the effort.  Nice ideas and design to compliment.  I see it in an antique shop being sold as something completely different in about 50 years.

O agree that shop furniture doesn't have to be beat up, made from scraps or look ugly.  What better place to practice more intricate joinery that you may want to use in the future?!  The simple fact that it'll probably get more use, and more active use, than your dining room table in its self means that it should be a well built piece.

This turned out nicely and well worth the effort.  Nice ideas and design to compliment.  I see it in an antique shop being sold as something completely different in about 50 years.

Practice in the shop for the shop....I agree Byrdie.  Maybe though instead of an antique shop, it will be willed to a child or grandchild.  Keeps it in the framily. (popular word right now)

Definitely my hope to keep my life's work in the framily.  My kids are only 4 and 2, but they already wanna be out in the shop with me all the time, tinkering with this or that (which always makes me feel good and quite annoyed at the same time).  I'm hoping that at least one of them will take a real interest.  Honestly, it's pretty much my little boy's obligation to continue the family tradition, since he would make the 5th generation woodworker in my father's side lineage, and ending it now is unacceptable to me.  I'm fairly certain he will...kids become what their parents make them to one extent or another.  He's gonna grow up around tools and woodworking...he'll end up being a craftsman whether he wants to or not. :)

Definitely my hope to keep my life's work in the framily.  My kids are only 4 and 2, but they already wanna be out in the shop with me all the time, tinkering with this or that (which always makes me feel good and quite annoyed at the same time).  I'm hoping that at least one of them will take a real interest.  Honestly, it's pretty much my little boy's obligation to continue the family tradition, since he would make the 5th generation woodworker in my father's side lineage, and ending it now is unacceptable to me.  I'm fairly certain he will...kids become what their parents make them to one extent or another.  He's gonna grow up around tools and woodworking...he'll end up being a craftsman whether he wants to or not. :)

haha, that is true ... 5 generations of woodworkers would be impressive!! I am sure it will work out

The through mortises in the legs were done with a router then cleaned up with chisels. The mortises for the tusks were started with the drill press, then finished with chisels to get the angle right.

So question from the new guy ... Just trying to wrap my head around this

Drill press made a hole all the way through .. I assume smaller than needed to give leeway for chiseling out the angle and making the correct sized hole?

Thanks buddy. :D  Yeah, a couple stools are on that long, long list.  They'll happen one day.  The stool I have now is an ancient hand-me-down from the old man.  He chopped the legs off for some unknown reason.  It may look crappy, but it's propped my rear end up for many hours in that shop. :)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

The tray just rests in a recess.  There's no sliding and there's nothing that holds it in place...aside from the weight of the stones and stone holders...but it just rests there even without anything atop it.  Here's a view of the tabletop without the tray or stones installed...

DSC_0041_1.jpg