Moxon Vise elongated holes

JoshC1501

After much frustration with my bench, I started building a Moxon Vise as a quick improvement until I can replace the bench. Have all the stock ready to make the elongated holes in the movable jaw.

I am having some issues with my old drill press, I think the bearings are shot, getting terrible runout when I try to drill elongated holes with forstner bits.  

Anyway, I am still building my hand tool kit and don't have a rasp small enough to elongate the 3/4'' hole.  Any suggestions? Buying a small rasp was not exactly high on my Tool priority list, but buying new Tools is always fun!!

Looks like it worked out well for you Josh. I would have suggested to find a friend with a reliable drill press. I tried to do mine with a hand drill when I built my vise and they had a little more slop in it then I would have liked. 

I am a bit disappointed with my drill press. I love this old Machine!  It is a vey old Delta Homecraft Table Top that is built like a tank. There is not a single plastic part on the machine.  The owners manual is dated 1937.  It drills single straight holes perfect, but the holes get erratic on this kind of operation.  

Ended up using it to drill a 3/4" hole then used a $9 round file my local hardware store to elongate the hole.  And that is why I have fallen in love with hand tools. Machines fail and come up short sometimes, anything can be cut by hand.  

I am a bit disappointed with my drill press. I love this old Machine!  It is a vey old Delta Homecraft Table Top that is built like a tank. There is not a single plastic part on the machine.  The owners manual is dated 1937.  It drills single straight holes perfect, but the holes get erratic on this kind of operation.  

Ended up using it to drill a 3/4" hole then used a $9 round file my local hardware store to elongate the hole.  And that is why I have fallen in love with hand tools. Machines fail and come up short sometimes, anything can be cut by hand.  

Neanderthals stand at the edge of their caves and grunt and shake their clubs in approval.  "We will win him yet...."

Just funning all you hand tool guys.... ;)