Sketchup Welcome Dialog nag screen

TerryMcK

I've been using Sketchup for years now and the latest version 14 has a nag screen on startup called the Welcome Dialog. You select what template you want and click Start Using Sketchup. On older versions there was a check box stating "show on startup". When you unchecked it the nag screen went away.

TECHNICAL BIT

For PC users it wrote into the registry a flag HKCU\Software\Sketchup\Sketchup (version number)\WelcomeDialog called ShowOnStartup which would be set at 0.

Trimble in their wisdom has retained the key folder but removed the actual key. Putting it back into place doesn't do anything so you get the persistent nagging no matter what setting you change it to.

BACK ON COURSE AGAIN

I decided to use a piece of freeware that I've also used for years called "Press the Freakin Button"

Essentially after configuring (real easy BTW) this sits on your PC looking for the dialog box "Start using Sketchup"  and clicks it on your behalf. Drag it to your startup folder if you want it to start everytime you reboot your PC.

No longer do you have to see the pointless nag screen. I know Sketchup is free software but the irritating startup screen can be history once you have read it.

If you want to download the Press the Freakin Button freeware software get it from here http://www.thefreewindows.com/217/push-the-freakin-button/

There is also some other software linked on the same page called ClickOff which does a similar thing.

I've not seen anything for Mac yet that does a similar thing but maybe somebody here does.

Terry, I'm still on 8 but that's good to know. Probably useful for other stuff as well. Thanks for posting that.

Is there any big draw to 14 Make over 8 ?

Yes the big thing is that rendering is a lot, lot faster than previous versions. Extension warehouse is a superb addition. You no longer have to search around the internet looking for plugins nor have to manually copy them into the directories. It is all done for you. There are numerous changes under the hood making it the best Sketchup to date.

I use Sketchup both on a PC running Windows and a Macbook Air. They are both great but as mentioned I've not been able to find an equivelent press the freakin button for Mac...yet! My recomendations are upgrade.

Yes the big thing is that rendering is a lot, lot faster than previous versions. Extension warehouse is a superb addition. You no longer have to search around the internet looking for plugins nor have to manually copy them into the directories. It is all done for you. There are numerous changes under the hood making it the best Sketchup to date.

I use Sketchup both on a PC running Windows and a Macbook Air. They are both great but as mentioned I've not been able to find an equivelent press the freakin button for Mac...yet! My recomendations are upgrade.

Thanks. Sounds like it's time to do it again (I'm very lethargic about doing software upgrades. SECURITY upgrades I take very seriously :) )

• 5 weeks later...

I'm also on 8.  Is there any issue just loading the most current, or do I need to load steps in between?  (Honestly, with the computer as wonky as it's been, I've been holding off on upgrading things.  Might just load the latest on a new computer, and call it done.  Hard to believe I filled up 92 percent of the hard drive in just two years.... not even sure what I filled it with.  Sorry, tangent.)

No issue loading the most current. You may find that you have two versions (v8 and v14) on your box. You can uninstall v8 if you desire (you don't have to) as that was made by Google and the v14 is made by Trimble.

The advantage of loading v14 is if you see a Sketchup drawing on the internet, or in the 3D Warehouse, that is made with any version after v8 you will be able to load it. Conversely if you only have v8 and try loading a later drawing you won't be able to load it.

• 1 month later...

The nag screen is still there in Sketchup 15 and still can't be disabled internally. On the Windoze version if you have installed Push The Freakin Button as outlined in my original post it seems that if you still have V14 or older installed as well you have to create a new watcher for V15.

No big deal but it works great. Sketchup 15 64bit is really fast BTW - material rendering whilst rotating the camera view is pretty seamless now. 

==>The nag screen is still there in Sketchup 15 and still can't be disabled internally

Never seen that behavior -- been a beta tester for years... I'm not saying it doesn't happen... it's just that it hasn't happened to me... So you select the 'do not show' and the loader ignores the setting? Interesting... When the next Beta is released, I'll poke at it a bit... Have Procmon, Will Travel...

BTW, 15M1 RC1 Beta is winding down and some of the more obvious bugs will be squished in the very near-term (but you didn't hear that from me)... :)

Thanks Trip. I know that getting rid of that nag screen will be gladly received. As I mentioned you could turn it off in earler versions and the registry keys still exist. But setting the key to switch it off has zero effect now hence the reason I looked up Push The Freakin Button.