Lesson Learned

Tim Kohl

History:   Bought a high dollar patio door for 100.00  (an auction at work).  Sizing was an inch or 2 smaller in width and height.  I replaced the Masonite siding one side of door to match the gap on the right side.  Gap as in distance from siding to door. 

Plan A.  make some maple trim and enhance the reddish maple color to blend better with house trim, which is cranberry.  Pre-treated to control blotching and rubbed 2 coats of  antique maple gel stain and AHHHH ugly it was awful.  Why change maple's  natural color (asked myself).

Plan B.  Sand back to clean wood and go with Danish oil and spar-urethane. Sanding got old real quick.

Plan C.  Hand plane a new trim profile.  After the first piece of trim completed I really liked this plan.  Sanded to 220, after checking Danish oil on scrap figure, applied Danish oil to trim.  How could I have been so stupid (plan A)  the wood was wonderful.

Second lesson learned, don't know if this correct technique but worked for me planing figure was difficult.  I finally went over figure at approximately 45 degree to minimize gouging. 

focus pretty bad :{

post-15563-0-73590300-1410610822_thumb.j

Edited by Beechwood Chip