1/4 inch miter problem

Toochaos

Hi guys this is my first post and I'm having some difficulty, I'm making a small box designed for cards. I made a prototype since this is for a friend, and i found a few issues, but my main problem is getting the top correct, it is 3 sides due to the angle of the lid all mitered together but everything slip and slide so getting a nice tight joint just isn't happening. I really have no idea how to put decent pressure on the joint without it slipping apart ?  

There is a trick using a pin or tiny brad nail. You drive the nail halfway in to one side and then cut the head off to a point. When you push the pieces together they should grab. Apart from that it is often a case of cutting corner blocks and using cauls. Corner blocks just have and inside corner cut in them to capture the outside corner of you project. Cauls are anything to keep the center from popping up. It could even be a book on a small lid. Just be careful to use something like wax, wax paper, or packaging tape so you do not glue anything to your project.

Or you can use a small band clamp, or even a few heavy duty rubber bands.  The important part is that there's equal pressure on all four joints at the same time, otherwise you get exactly what you experienced...slip and slide.

On small boxes like that, that don't really see much abuse and don't require super-terrific joint strength, you can use a little trick where you just use tape.  I think I remember Marc using this trick somewhere long ago.  Let me see if I can find it.  Hold please...

...Here it is.  Skip to 11 minute mark.

You can lay all the pieces out on a flat surface, miter to miter. Then run a strip of painters tape or two across them connecting them tightly Apply some glue on the miters and roll them up. There are several videos on You Tube that show how to do this. April Wilkerson shows how to do this in her video named Garden of Innocence.It works great.

thanks will do i made so many mistakes on that piece it was good to do it, so i know i need to cut all the Miters before glueing anything, as i didn't so had to fix the big holes, also learned while walnut is beautiful glue just soaks right into the grain ruining the finish. 

The tape trick helps a lot with this.  Just make sure to spread the glue evenly, and not within 1/32nd of the outside edge of the miter and things will go more smoothly.

Im actually changing the wood to be hickory on the bottom (instead of mahogany), because i have a lot of hickory laying around, then the top will be Purpleheart because my friend is a big fan of purple., the issue with that is i have too resaw the purple heart down as i can only get it in 4/4 stock, and i have to do this on a table saw so i need to get some more tools to get it to come out right. and I believe I used way to much glue on the previous attempt.