Greeting from the NW Hills in CT

popper

Hi all.

I'm a newbie when it comes to woodworking but did some when I was in middle school over 20 years ago. I'm an at home dad and looking to make woodworking my new caree if I have the woodworking ablity to do so. Luckily for me I have my wife full support, which from what I read on forums I will need alot of.

I was a chef for over 15 years before we had kids. So this is where I need your guys help. As a chef I was able to have my newbies do things in the kitchen to hone their skills with out wasting product. I.e. dice vegatables, mincing garlic and herbs, making stocks and breaking down meat and fish. So I was wondering if there are things like that in woodworking I can do to hone my skill in the begain so that I can set aside for use later? I was looking at prices of wood around my area and don't want to spend a lot of money just to mess things up and waste good wood.

Thanks

Welcome, this is a place of learning!  It matters not how much experience you bring with you, you will learn something regularly!  You need tools to start with, what do you have at your disposal and then we might be able to get you started on a journey, that will confuse, befuddle and thrill you as you grow in the hobby.  Again welcome!

Thanks Tiods. Sorry I think I didn't make myself clear. I know I need wood. I was thinking of making things that will be used in later projects. Like in the kitchen I might not need 10 pounds of carrots small dice that day but I would use them over the next couple of days but it taught my new staff how to cut a small dice 1/4 x 1/4 x 1/4 perfectly. Thats more of what I was asking.

Building a stack of shop drawers is great skills practice. You learn how accurate all the parts have to be to get a decent fit and have the drawer run smoothly.

Accurate stock preparation is the key to building almost anything from wood. It has to be flat, square and a consistent thickness. Joiner, planer and tablesaw are key to stock prep.

• 3 months later...

Im with them.. Build your shop furniture and learn as you build those things. You're going to have to actually MAKE things in order to learn to make them. Building stuff is an integrated process where each step informs the next unlike cooking where it's an additive process (first this, then that, then this). You NEED to know every step of your project and why it's being done a particular way in order to do it, so you can't just chop a bunch of wood. Actually, you can think of woodworking more like designing your own recipes and less like cooking. You can't just know that carrots and cauliflower taste good together to make a dish..You have to know what ways to cook them, with what seasonings, etc etc. This all comes with actually doing it and testing and failing a few times. 

I would think to make wood working a career would be VERY difficult as an absolute beginner and starting a business always costs money the first year or two anyways. If you;re looking for a way to supplement income, wood working might not be it. 

I tend to agree to a certain point..

Yes, shop furniture is awesome for learning new skills and techniques.  However, if your shop needs 15 cabinets you get to a point where you've got it figured out and it's time to move on to something else and you've still got a bunch left to build.  

I think the better shop projects are things like router tables, out feed tables, some extra drawers, etc..  Items where you're not batching out multiples just to get the job done.