Wood waste

Fxguy

Hey guys, just curious, but most plans I see call for 3/4" thick parts but the local woodshop sells wood by the board foot and it's 4/4. Is it just me or is it a shame to waste 1/4" planing it down to 3/4"? Seems silly to get unfinished lumber at 4/4 when it can in some cases be bought as 3/4" already. Am I missing something? 

4/4 is the rough measurement of the wood.   Mills cut lumber 4/4 then after planing they come out to 3/4, usually.    Are the boards you are looking at planed on both sides?

When buying lumber there is usually a tremendous price savings in getting 4/4 rough lumber and planing it down to 3/4, compared to buying lumber that has already been planed. 

• Like 1

4/4 is the rough measurement of the wood.   Mills cut lumber 4/4 then after planing they come out to 3/4, usually.    Are the boards you are looking at planed on both sides?

When buying lumber there is usually a tremendous price savings in getting 4/4 rough lumber and planing it down to 3/4, compared to buying lumber that has already been planed. 

Yeah they are planed on both sides. And there is a price savings, just hate to waste wood! :-) I was just curious if maybe someone out there figured out a way to not waste that much when using the 4/4. 

Yeah they are planed on both sides. And there is a price savings, just hate to waste wood! :-) I was just curious if maybe someone out there figured out a way to not waste that much when using the 4/4. 

If your boards are still a full 1" thick after planing, then just adjust your plans to use 1" instead of 3/4.  Then you wont have any waste.   I did this same thing with a hope chest.   The lumber I bought was closer to 5/4 rough, and 4/4 after i planed it.  I didnt see any reason to make it thinner. 

• Like 1

Hey guys, just curious, but most plans I see call for 3/4" thick parts but the local woodshop sells wood by the board foot and it's 4/4. Is it just me or is it a shame to waste 1/4" planing it down to 3/4"? Seems silly to get unfinished lumber at 4/4 when it can in some cases be bought as 3/4" already. Am I missing something? 

is it really 1" thick? A lot of wood that's S2S or skip planed is actually 7/8" or 15/16"

• Like 1

Meh, there's no such thing as "wasting wood" unless a tree is felled and just left to rot.  Even then it's not totally waste since it's recycled into the earth as organic material.

Once a tree is milled into lumber and brought into a shop, it's being put to the best possible use I can think of.  Woodworking is a process of whittling down big pieces of wood into smaller pieces of wood...a certain amount of waste is unavoidable.  If you wanna alleviate your guilt about "wasting" wood, go check out the scrap pile at any mill.

It's akin to saying you don't like to exercise because your increased respiration is wasting oxygen.  You wanna make an omelet, ya gotta break a few eggs.

• Like 1

Hurts to see the highway maintenance crew cutting nice, straight trunked oak, cherry, pine and other trees along the right of way, and grinding them up to be left on the spot. Just yesterday I saw that happen to several trees exceeding 14" diameter.

Hurts even more to see how they hack the overhanging branches from trees just outside the right of way, leaving behind broken and jagged stumps that are likely to kill the tree anyway.

Have to agree with Kikki. Rotting mulch may be good for the soil, but I'd rather see a tree turned into furniture any day.

• Like 1