A scam site that's stealing content

Dan S

this website has stolen a few of my photos to promote what I assume is yet another plans scam. I'm working with Google to get the photos un-indexed, and I though some others might want to check and see if they stole any of your photos as well.

for example i see they stole some of marc's photos.

the best way to check is to run a google image search with this as the input "site:shedplanscourse.com"

shedplanscourse.com

What this person appears to have done, is taken images that ranked highly in Google image search, and put them on his own site in the hope of driving up his site ranking. It looks like it worked, because his stolen copy of my images out ranked the ones from my own site.

this blog posts explains what to do to get your stolen content removed from Google's index. It's pretty easy to do, and it's what hurts someone like this the most.

http://www.ecreativeim.com/blog/2011/12/report-stolen-content-to-google/

Wow - a lot of those images look familiar.  I think I recognized a New Yankee Workshop book case, in addition to Marc's stuff.

Some of the images had various company logos on them.  It looks like they were stealing images without even trying to hide the source.

this person stole a ton of stuff.

For as good as Google is at weeding out stolen content, I don't understand how they still miss straight copy and past jobs. 

take this image of Rob Swanson for example, if you click on "search by image", it will show you every page its used on.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn1.thewoodwhisperer.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fron-swanson.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thewoodwhisperer.com%2Fwoodtalk%2Fwood-talk-117-here-kitty-kitty%2F&h=731&w=500&tbnid=qZlIMApdzhEk5M%3A&zoom=1&docid=2UpigQHuTwP0JM&ei=t3YXVNK7OoW5ogTGkYH4Bg&tbm=isch&ved=0CCMQMygCMAI&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=360&page=1&start=0&ndsp=24

So they have the technology, they just need to figure out how to incorporate it properly into their system.

I just don't personally understand how some people have the balls to so blatantly steal from others.  If they took the same amount of energy it took to appropriate all those images and applied it to something productive (same goes for the people hacking credit card info) we'd probably have a cure for cancer by now.

I just don't personally understand how some people have the balls to so blatantly steal from others.  If they took the same amount of energy it took to appropriate all those images and applied it to something productive (same goes for the people hacking credit card info) we'd probably have a cure for cancer by now.

The answer to your question is quite simple. If I used the same energy to gather those images and applied it to projects in my workshop, I'd probably just about get my garage door open and turn on my table saw, but that's about it. For those with the right talent and a little training, what this guy has done is ludicrously easy.

Case in point, not so long ago someone was stealing credit card numbers from Target because Target decided (stupidly) to use WIFI enabled point of sales terminals. Target were literally broadcasting credit card numbers on short wave radio. Once the perps had the right programs/code (also ludicrously easy to obtain), literally all they had to do was sit in the car park to steal those credit card numbers.Thousands of people use credit cards in stores like Target every single day. See War Driving 

The reason why we don't have a cure for cancer is because that stuff is hard. It's a sad fact of life that crime does pay, and pays well. Earning a living the honest way is significantly harder that stealing and reselling content like this, especially if once you've gathered the information, you can sit back and deliver that content electronically on receipt of a PayPal balance. With the right programming, you wouldn't even need to click your mouse. The invoicing system can literally send the pictures out automatically. It might be a little more complicated if you wanted a CD and/or printed material because I'd actually have to get out of bed to do that.

Incidentally, dissemination of out of copyright information is entirely legal. In the United States, copyright term has been extended many times over from the original term of 14 years with a single renewal allowance of 14 years, to the current term of the life of the author plus 70 years. If the work was produced under corporate authorship it may last 120 years after creation or 95 years after publication, whichever is less. This is mostly Disney's fault.

Obviously Marc's images are not out of copyright by any stretch, but there is the possibility that some of the content is out of copyright and it is entirely legal, permissible (and some argue right) to broadcast that work to as many people as you like, including charging for it.

Case in point, not so long ago someone was stealing credit card numbers from Target because Target decided (stupidly) to use WIFI enabled point of sales terminals. Target were literally broadcasting credit card numbers on short wave radio. Once the perps had the right programs/code (also ludicrously easy to obtain), literally all they had to do was sit in the car park to steal those credit card numbers.Thousands of people use credit cards in stores like Target every single day. See War Driving 

I know that you are just trying to give an example of how something can be really easy with the right knowledge, but this explanation of how hackers stole CC data from Target is pretty far off from the truth.  WIFI had nothing to do with it.  Even if credit card numbers were being transferred over WIFI, which they aren't, they would be encrypted at that point and any capture of the information would be useless to the hackers.

I'd have to look up the references, but my memory is that Andrew is right.  Wifi traffic is not encrypted, although the protocol layered on top my be encrypted (https) or unencrypted (http).  My memory is that the CC data was being sent unencrypted, and the criminals just sat in the parking lot collecting it.

[ EDIT - I apologize - I was thinking of the earlier TJX breach, which did involve a car in the parking lot with a directional antenna.  But even there I was wrong - the wifi was encrypted, but with an older method (WEP)  that was known the be easily cracked. ]

I'd have to look up the references, but my memory is that Andrew is right.  Wifi traffic is not encrypted, although the protocol layered on top my be encrypted (https) or unencrypted (http).  My memory is that the CC data was being sent unencrypted, and the criminals just sat in the parking lot collecting it.

Sorry, but he is not right.  I am 100% sure that he isn't right.  Think about it:  Data was stolen from most of Target's 1800 store locations.  

Do you really think that the hackers had 1800+ people sitting in Target parking lots around the US snooping on Wifi traffic?  

Do you think that a fortune 50 company like Target would be so monumentally stupid as to broadcast customer CC numbers and security codes over Wifi unencrypted?

This article is pretty accurate as far as the main points about how the breach occurred.  Sorry if I seem adamant about this issue, but misinformation about stuff like this irritates me.  Did Target mess up pretty badly?  Sure.  But they didn't print your CC information out and put it on the bad guy's doorstep.

Stupider things have happened.

But not in this case. Much like the recent Home Depot hack, the root cause was malware on the point of sale system that was able to capture the credit card info in the one place that it is not encypted. Actually, I think it was the same exact malware, which makes it extra, extra stupid.

From memory, Target were using WEP at the time, which whilst technically was encrypted, was known to be breakable with little difficulty. This was a good few years ago now, and I can't find the information any more.

I think you are thinking of the earlier TJX (TJ Max, Marshal's) breach.  Target, TJ Max, Marshal's, they are all just "stores I don't shop at" to me.  The Target breach was announced less than a year ago, December 2013.

• Like 1

I think you are thinking of the earlier TJX (TJ Max, Marshal's) breach.  Target, TJ Max, Marshal's, they are all just "stores I don't shop at" to me.  The Target breach was announced less than a year ago, December 2013.

Oh yes, probably. It was a good few years ago. You know, when WEP was considered a form of encryption, rather than a joke.