What Size motor for old joiner

Farqual

If I were planning on jointing boards that small, I'd be inclined to spend my money on a couple nice hand planes instead and do my jointing with them.  That jointer in the link isn't good for much unless you're only doing very small projects like boxes and crafty stuff.  For furniture it would be nearly useless.

If I were planning on jointing boards that small, I'd be inclined to spend my money on a couple nice hand planes instead and do my jointing with them.  That jointer in the link isn't good for much unless you're only doing very small projects like boxes and crafty stuff.  For furniture it would be nearly useless

Knuckle dragger among us hatin' on the power.

Best guess is a 3450 rpm motor . Maybe look on the Old woodworking machine restorers website for pulley sizes. It really is quite tiny to be of much use on anything other than craft and small projects.

If a 1/3-1/2 hp - 3450rpm is hard to find, just go with 1/2 hp and double the size of the drive pulley since what you'll probably find is a 1750rpm. The 1/2 hp would retain enough torque to get it done but like Steve said, probably a 3450 would be best if you can find it.