Red Oak kitchen counter

ridnharley

That depends on the humidity in your area/house.  I'm not an expert, but I think you can get a ballpark figure by getting the relative humidity in your area along with the temperature and then plugging it into this chart.  That will let you know roughly what the moisture content should be in the wood for it to match your environment.

If it's a kitchen counter you need to consider filling the grain. Red oak has such an open grain pattern that juices and food particles will get in pretty deep and go rancid ! If you are planning a epoxy or other thick poured coating that will acheive the same result as filling the grain. Oil, wax and similar non film forming finishes on red oak will not be very safe.

White oak on the other hand is used for barrels , ships etc and doesn't have that coarse open grain that allows moisture in so deep.

• Like 1

That depends on the humidity in your area/house.  I'm not an expert, but I think you can get a ballpark figure by getting the relative humidity in your area along with the temperature and then plugging it into this chart.  That will let you know roughly what the moisture content should be in the wood for it to match your environment.

It's looking like 11% moisture content is the answer. Time to buy a moisture meter. I saw Woodcraft has one on sale for $20.

If it's a kitchen counter you need to consider filling the grain. Red oak has such an open grain pattern that juices and food particles will get in pretty deep and go rancid ! If you are planning a epoxy or other thick poured coating that will acheive the same result as filling the grain. Oil, wax and similar non film forming finishes on red oak will not be very safe.

White oak on the other hand is used for barrels , ships etc and doesn't have that coarse open grain that allows moisture in so deep.

I was planning on a few coats of water base poly for a finish.

I use a water bourne finish all the time, but it's precatalysed acrylic that is only sold to pro shops. About 5-6 years ago I built a little mahogany table for my bathroom and used about 4 coats on the top. It gets a stoneware coffee mug on it every day, then gets the spray from the shower curtain and it's holding up great.

Use a pore filler, sand and inspect, refill again sand , inspect until the pores are all filled. Then maybe use an exterior rated water based poly.

Make a sample of your finish then test it with some spilled soda and a sweaty cold can. See if there is a ring left or if it still seems sticky after cleaning.

I use a water bourne finish all the time, but it's precatalysed acrylic that is only sold to pro shops. About 5-6 years ago I built a little mahogany table for my bathroom and used about 4 coats on the top. It gets a stoneware coffee mug on it every day, then gets the spray from the shower curtain and it's holding up great.

Use a pore filler, sand and inspect, refill again sand , inspect until the pores are all filled. Then maybe use an exterior rated water based poly.

Make a sample of your finish then test it with some spilled soda and a sweaty cold can. See if there is a ring left or if it still seems sticky after cleaning.

What would you use for a pore filler?

They sell it as "pore filler " look at serious finishing supplies sources not the big box stores. Also called grain filler for open grained woods. Several brands available , choice will depend on compatibly with any stain, sealers or finishes you are using. Oil and water based types are available. I even saw a YouTube video you might want to check out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...