Jig storage?

Bill Tarbell

Thus far i've only created two jigs for the table saw.  Both of them have runners in the bottom.  I discovered i'm a bit fearful that storing them on a shelf would cause them to warp a little bit and throw off their accuracy.  Due to this, i've found that at the end of a shop day i'll put the jigs back on the table saw so that they're in the slots and resting flat on the top of the saw.  The bottoms of each of my jigs are made of MDF with the runner dado'd in.  I just picture them warping like one of those cheap particular board entertainment centers tend to do after a couple years.

Is my concern worthwhile or should i just breakdown and store them on a shelf?  What do you guys do with your jigs?

The only one I have with runners is my TS sled.  It usually lives on the saw as well but, I've had a few projects where this was not an option and the sled had to live on a shelf for a few days (or a week even).  I didn't have any issues.

Also, mine is ply, not MDF so, that may also make a difference.

Just make a flat spot for it to store with a few spacers to keep the runner from bearing all the weight. Even support is all you need.

It's unsupported MDF that sags. Check the spot for flatness with a straightedge diagonally as well as side to side.

Have you got your runner and sled sealed up against moisture absorption ? That's another MDF killer.

I sealed the bottom of one sled with wipe on poly and wax (and the exposed runner) , but not the other.  It was partially out of laziness and partly a test to see if it mattered.  It sounds like i should concede that it matters and seal up the second sled too.  Excellent point on the spacers.. that's an obviously simple solution.  

I had also considered hanging them on the wall via hooks.  I figured if it leaned relatively flat against the wall then the pull from the hooks would be in line with the length of the sled's base.  However, since i chose MDF as my base i assumed it would tear it up and eventually break free due to the weight bearing down on the loose fibers of the mdf.