Delta UniSaw

Scott Bailey

Excellent looking saw. I will say this, it is definitely not from the 80's. That saw is at least from the 60's and possibly earlier. Definitely replace bearings and check out the refurbishment posts on owwm.org they will show you how to handle the motor (which has some delicate parts inside that you need to take into account before you take it apart). I would also replace the fence with a modern t-fence but thats me. Still a fantastic deal. What kind of saw do you have now? Or is this your first table saw?

I was actually just guessing at the age, I wouldn't be surprised if it was older.  but I know him and I know he would take care of his stuff.  This is a friend who is offering it to me and his father was a professional furniture maker so I know he has a background.  he was an engineer himself (he's retired). 

this would be my first saw, I know next to nothing about table saws heh. 

it's not on CL, it's just a friend who decided that he didn't need it anymore and he knew I was getting into woodworking.

and ... uh oh wife is about to veto :(  "why do you need such a big saw?" she says... even to this day, despite the fact that I make a living making and winning arguments, I get all tongue tied with her lol.  

it's not on CL, it's just a friend who decided that he didn't need it anymore and he knew I was getting into woodworking.

and ... uh oh wife is about to veto :( "why do you need such a big saw?" she says... even to this day, despite the fact that I make a living making and winning arguments, I get all tongue tied with her lol.

I may be young, but I've invested in a very comfortable couch. You can guess my future thinking.
  • Like 2

No reason to wait on this one.  You can blame it on me with the wife.  I can handle it.  If you want to take this kraft at all seriously then a table saw usually becomes a necessity.  New ones are nice but pricey.  This is a well made saw that will, in all likelihood, need little to no reconditioning.  Go for it!

quick update. will probably be picking this saw up soon (wife approved!) and the one thing that it does not currently have is a blade guard/riving knife/splitter ... I also found out more about the saw - it's a 1966 1.5hp single stroke with a sealed explosive proof motor. the current owner changed bearings and blades a few years ago.  I'm going to head over there and make a few cuts on it and test it for square and so forth, but I really do want a splitter and/or blade guard of some sort.  So far the only one I've found that will fit this (and not break my bank) is this:

http://www.amazon.com/DELTA-34-868-Bracket-Splitter-Assembly/dp/B0007SXGQ0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1411161656&sr=8-4&keywords=delta+table+saw+splitter

which appears that it will work but I thought I'd see if anyone else has had an older Delta Unisaw and if perhaps anybody has a different idea.  I read somewhere that the newer riving knives won't fit the older delta saws, is that true?  I'd rather have one of those if possible but frankly I'd like a blade guard but atm don't feel like shelling out $350 for the overarm models.

any suggestions welcome! 

I am happy with my micro jig splitters.

OK I looked into these, including watching Marc's vid on them and they look to be the perfect solution at least for now.  thanks!  It seems I can get a few ZCI and the micro jig splitters for less than the one splitter Delta makes that will fit their older machines... awesome.