Router Kickback - Why??

wouldwurker

Usually I can figure out what I did wrong when I make a mistake, but this one has me baffled.

Trying to flush trim a piece of 8/4 soft maple, but whenever I try this one area, my wood becomes weaponized. It doesn't seem to be a particularly tight turn, just a curve.

Moving from right to left on the table, as always.

What am I missing here? Happened three times now...which is enough for me to stop doing it (you'd think one would have been enough)

Thanks. Never had this happen before

VJcd6791fd88db9119f64db26ea0386d02.jpg

If you have the template on both sides that cut may work much better going in the opposite direction . Cleaning any built up resin on the bit doesn't hurt.

Climb cutting also comes to mind , it takes nerves of steel, can be dangerous and I won't try it on a part that small.

I have template routed half of a small part before cutting it off of a much longer blank. This works best when the rest of the part can just be sawn and sanded.

• Like 1

Think about where the cutting edge hits the grain. Is it going to grab and tear like happened to you or shave and press the grain down as it cuts.

William Ng sells a huge spiral pattern bit with an upper and lower bearing for work like this. It's quite expensive but when a job comes up that will buy me one it's definitely on my wish list.

Careful planning is always a good idea. I have several bigger bearings that I use to take thick cuts in small stages then install the original bearing to make the final cut.

I have also set up a bearing on top bit in one router table and a bearing on the bottom bit in another table (older crude one) and planned & labeled the jig/ pattern where to stop and finish it with the other bit.

Spiral bits absolutely rock in these situations...   Far better results and less grab as the grain changes.   You can save a bit of money over the Ng version by using a standard guide bushing in your table and a 1/2" spiral bit, with the pattern on the bottom.  The William Ng version is a fantastic tool, though and worth the cash if you do a lot of this.

Your table will accept guide bushings in the gray insert.

• Like 1

Vinny...

Many years ago, I drew a few diagonal lines on the top of my first router table's fence to remind me of proper grain direction.  They helped!  More than once, I'd have a long layoff not using the table, and the lines would make me notice I was about to get it wrong before I started to cut...   

• Like 1

I think the simplest suggestion was already made.  Rather than a bit with two bearings, pry the template off and adhere it to the other side of the work piece when routing this section.  It reverses the orientation of the bit to the grain making it a safer cut.  If enough of the piece has already been pattern routed you should be able to orient it correctly.

That's probably the cheapest solution, but I don't think the simplest.  It's almost impossible to get the template back on exactly in the same place it was on the other side.  It's a lot simpler to have a top-and-bottom bearing bit, but you're gonna be a hundred bucks or so poorer.  I almost always choose to be poorer if it means less work. :D

• Like 1