In need of new router!!!

Cmac2008

I currently have the dw6184 and have owned it for about 2 years... It works great in my benchtop KREG router table... But I am almost finished with my new router cabinet with the KREG precision top and t-style fence so I also want to upgrade the router... I would like a 3hp or is that too much? I'm most likely going to invest in the KREG router lift so that isn't a issue...

Porter Cable 7518 , 3 1/4 HP, 5 speeds and you can buy it without the base if you are going to put it in a lift. You need the multi speed feature for use with larger bits. I have had the previous model for over 20 years and it is quite a workhorse.

I have had a 7518 in one of my router tables for about 4 years and it's worked flawlessly in my small pro shop.

• Like 2

We never said it was inexpensive !

It will last a very long time in a professional shop. It is still made in the USA , and all of the Kreg gear he mentioned buying isn't cheap either ! Quality rarely has a low price tag.

No, I agree. I actually just bought all that Kreg gear. I will be buying that router next. Just wish it wasn't $300 more bones. Oh well, quality is worth it.

I used mine hand held all day with a huge 1 1/2" radius round over bit and it wore me out !

I used a 3/4" radius bit first, then a 1" radius bit to remove the bulk of the waste, and finished with 3 passes with the big bit. I was making 3" bullnose out of maple. The bit weighs a full pound.

Just looked up the price $130, and they warn you to only use it in a router table !

To give you an idea how big this bit is 4 passes on a cedar 4x4 made a big dowel !

The 5 speed version has a soft start feature, it revvs up to speed. When you are cutting and hit a harder section of grain the motor adds power to maintain the speed. You can hear the motor back down after the harder grain and settle down to the speed you have set. I use the slowest setting for the big 1 1/2" bit. It's 3 1/2" in diameter.

99.5 percent of the time it lives in the router table !

Running a big router with a big bit is a lot of work, requires strict concentration , and you must take very small amounts of wood with each pass. 1/8 or less is smart. Running it in a router table is even smarter !

Get a powerful shop vac to use with this router in a table.

I will be keeping my dewalt If any handheld routing is needed... Also you mentioned the soft start and adjustable speeds.... I have a router speed control knob that I planned on integrating into my router cabinet... Will this be needed? And I am also investing in a shop-vac strictly for this router table... Will be powered on when router switch is turned on...

I will be keeping my dewalt If any handheld routing is needed... Also you mentioned the soft start and adjustable speeds.... I have a router speed control knob that I planned on integrating into my router cabinet... Will this be needed? And I am also investing in a shop-vac strictly for this router table... Will be powered on when router switch is turned on...

I don't think you can use the speed control with routers that have the soft start feature. You should check the manufacturer before using it.

I miss Particle Board. "You ought to be using a shaper!"

Lot of good wisdom here. 

Sidebar.....does ANYONE know what's happened to Particle?  PM me.

Steve, using a bit that large on a handheld.....it sounds like something that could hurt you. (?) Keep in mind, I'm a weekend warrior and don't make a living at this like you do.  That just sounds like you're trying to tame a tornado.

Other thing is Cmac...if you're is asking whether 3 HP is enough, you probably aren't spinning anvils in your router like

Steve is :blink: ......so probably for what you and I would need, 3 hp is more than enough.

I was very cautious ! I took very little amounts off with each pass. I used gradually larger bits. I had the countertop firmly clamped down and swept my footpath each pass. I even made a custom baseplate for the router to give me more surface area over the counter to reduce any tipping. I think it is not advisable to attempt a cut like this without a lot of experience and careful preparation . The workpiece was too big to use the router table or a shaper so I figured it out the best I could. It can be done but it takes a lot of steps, a huge amount of caution and it's still risky.

• Like 1

I just got mine delivered. Can't give a recommendation yet, but most I've read about it is positive.

Great thing is that you dont need to shell out $300 for a lift, and the router only cost me $280 delivered.

I have thought about the triton with the Kreg table but haven't heard enough about the triton. Is the lift mechanism easy and accurate on it?