I'm looking for a saw to cut plywood panels

Niku

The answer is...Rockwell compact circular saw. It has a 4-1/2" blade and weighs less than 5 pounds. It's my dream machine. The things I could have done with it had I known about it.... It cuts plywood handily and has no problems with 2x4s. Another thing I like about it is that is remarkably easy to keep on a straight line. There is only one thing that I worry about, it heats up. I haven't been using it that long, but it did heat up more than I had expected after a long period of sustained usage. I hope this means nothing.

Nice little saw, but that still only got you within 3/4 to 1 inch of the wall, no?

Nice little saw, but that still only got you within 3/4 to 1 inch of the wall, no?

More than that, but there were projections that kept me from getting closer, so I don't know how close I could have gotten but for them. However, these projects oftentimes require some creative thinking, and I thought of a way to accomplish what I needed without getting as close as I had originally wanted. That's one of the joys of these DIY jobs, they keep you thinking. Sometimes, the more obstacles, the better. They say that things like this keep your brain young. They also add pleasure and a sense of satisfaction.

If you need to get close to a wall you need a toe kick saw. Harbor freight has a good one believe it or not that is affordable.

Yeah, but I have to consider the cost, especially since I would probably only be using it this one time. Thanks for giving me the name, though. 

Yeah, but I have to consider the cost, especially since I would probably only be using it this one time. Thanks for giving me the name, though. 

ADDITIONAL COMMENT: I found one on Amazon for $79.  If I had known about it when I started this project, I might very well have bought it; however, I eventually settled on another way that didn't require such an ability.  Of course, if I had known everything then that I know now, I could have done a better job, in less time, for less money. I'm not kicking myself, though. There was no way for me to have known what I know now; in fact, I did consult with a home contractor, and he thought that I should do it the way that I am doing it. I'm not blaming him, but I wish I could do it over again with my present knowledge.

I already have too many tools, anyway. Some of them, the router, for example I haven't yet used.

The answer is...Rockwell compact circular saw. It has a 4-1/2" blade and weighs less than 5 pounds. It's my dream machine. The things I could have done with it had I known about it.... It cuts plywood handily and has no problems with 2x4s. Another thing I like about it is that is remarkably easy to keep on a straight line. There is only one thing that I worry about, it heats up. I haven't been using it that long, but it did heat up more than I had expected after a long period of sustained usage. I hope this means nothing.

Good to hear on honest review on it.  I saw it advertised the other day and thought it looked useful.  Would love one that small for breaking down 4/4 lumber as well.  I don't want a battery powered one as I have not had good experience with battery powered saws.

For cutting the floor up to access plumbing in my bathroom I used a circular saw, a jig saw and an oscilating multitool saw. To get into places or not damage joists they each had their use.

I discovered oscillating saws years ago, They're great little tools; in fact, two different contractors who were working on my place, bought them for themselves upon seeing what I could do with mine. The only reason I didn't use one on this job, is that the discount brand I bought is not up to this job, or any sustained job. I now wish I had bought one of the better known brands, although the original German brand is still too expensive. Now I remember. The brands being sold today started coming out shortly after the German company's copyright expired.

I discovered oscillating saws years ago, They're great little tools; in fact, two different contractors who were working on my place, bought them for themselves upon seeing what I could do with mine. The only reason I didn't use one on this job, is that the discount brand I bought is not up to this job, or any sustained job. I now wish I had bought one of the better known brands, although the original German brand is still too expensive. Now I remember. The brands being sold today started coming out shortly after the German company's copyright expired.

Actually there are Fein's that are not much more than the Makita I bought, at least on amazon.  About 150.  But it was an issue of wanting it today to finish up working on the floor to move on to other parts of the bathroom that caused me to get it at home depot.

Actually there are Fein's that are not much more than the Makita I bought, at least on amazon.  About 150.  But it was an issue of wanting it today to finish up working on the floor to move on to other parts of the bathroom that caused me to get it at home depot.

Well, my Chicago oscillating tool only cost around $27 or $29, so you're talking about another universe. I do know, though, that I wouldn't even try to cut through, say, eight feel of 5/8" particle board with my Chicago. 

I know very well what you mean when you speak of needing a tool TODAY. I've been there myself, which is why I have too many of them. I think that a competent carpenter can probably get by with fewer tools, good ones, though.

Anyone in the market for a Table Saw needs to be aware of the Festool Plunge Cutting Circular Saws (TS-55 and TS-75).  I teach Table Saw Basics and always make it a point to demonstrate this "shop-changing" tool.  Check it out!

miw

They should be pretty good for those prices. Here's a link--I hope--to the Amazon page that features them:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Doffice-products&field-keywords=Festool+Plunge+Cutting+Circular+Saws+%28TS-55+and+TS-75%29

On my desktop, I have a copy of the partial page they're featured on, but I was unable to paste it here.