CRC 3-36 users

estesbubba

I've used Boeshield T9 and paste wax for many years and always get some surface rust usually during summer. Not bad as a little work with WD-40 and a scothbrite with finish sander make easy work of it. The T9 is easy but wax (both Renaissance and Johnson's) are a pain and leave streaking all over the cast iron. 

I bought some CRC 3-36 and wondering how people apply it? Do you just spray, wipe off with paper towels, and leave the wet/shiny surface? I didn't know if it eventually dries and you buff as I just did my table saw this morning. 

I've been using only that for well over a year, since whenever the test came out in FWW.  Don't spray it wide open.  You don't ever need to.  Always use the straw, and don't lose it.  You don't have to press the button very hard to let out a dribble from the end of the straw. Just put a dollup on whatever you are applying it to, and rub it around with a rag, or paper towel.  I keep all my old socks that the elastic has played out on for this purpose.  A little bit goes a long way.  Don't leave rags balled up somewhere.  I just drape the sock over the edge of a trashcan.

• 4 months later...

You can get 3-36 (and most every CRC product) in quart/gal/5gal/55g presentations – sans aerosol and a lot cheaper/oz:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SK8QQK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Much easier to control application. I keep an 8oz squirt bottle on the plane till: squirt some on a shop rag and go to town...

If you don’t want to purchase gals, they offer a 16oz squirt bottle – sans aerosol – again, much better control:  http://www.amazon.com/CRC-03007-Multi-Purpose-Lubricant-Corrosion/dp/B0013J1U60/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423534686&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=CRC+3-36+gal

Thanks for the links to the non-aerosol liquid. I hadn't seen those. I still have most of a case of the spray cans left, but ordered one of the pump bottles.  I don't end up ever spraying anything full force with the spray cans anyway, but having a pump bottle in a house we're working on will give some piece of mind.

Thanks for the links to the non-aerosol liquid. I hadn't seen those. I still have most of a case of the spray cans left, but ordered one of the pump bottles.  I don't end up ever spraying anything full force with the spray cans anyway, but having a pump bottle in a house we're working on will give some piece of mind.

It seems an 11 oz can would last me several years and a case several lifetimes! 

==>non-aerosol liquid

I find the aeorosols to be inaccurate, messy and wasteful.  I get most CRC products in liquid gallons and use after-market pump bottles: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BCH4WWC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

==>builds up thick on areas that don't get used.

That's too true... The side edges of my planer tables have quite a bit of wax... Corners of the jointer tables... etc...