Elm wood, any good?

TPirson

There was a great big old elm tree behind my family's home that was hit by dutch elm years ago and died probably 20 years ago. Over the years it's dropped all of its bark and most of the smaller limbs, but due to the size and safe distance from the house, it was never taken down. This past spring, the tree came down and within the last couple weeks, my dad started chopping it up. His plan was to just cart it off for outdoor firewood, but since there's already several years worth of junky poplar already split and stacked, I'm wondering if I or someone with more experience could do anything with what's left. The base of the trunk was pretty much turned to dust by termites, but I don't know how far up the tree they chewed.

Basically, in general, is wood like this even any good to work with?

It's taken the brunt of Buffalo winters and baked in the summers for close to (if not more than) 20 years. I don't work to far from their house, so if I get a chance today, I'll head over and take some photos of the wood.

I fear there may not be much usable material left.  Trees tend to rot from the inside out, so there is a chance it could be mostly hollow on the inside.  The next issue is the termites.  You will want to get the treated before even dreaming of using it any material from it.  You will for sure want to run those pieces through a kiln if you do attempt anything with them.

Thanks for the comments. I ran over during lunch and took a few photos.

On the ground, it doesn't seem anywhere near the size it was standing. The solid pieces from near the base of the trunk are just over 2.5' wide. 

The majority of the termite damage is limited to the bottom of the tree. The pieces above that feel solid, if a little waterlogged from the wet summer we've had. Also, are the patches of color I'm seeing on the endgrain spalting?

Well, just as I was about to hit post, my dad ended up calling me to say that he spoke with the neighbor who heats entirely with wood and may be wheeling it over in the next week or so. So if anything could be worth saving, I should grab it this weekend. 

post-16162-0-36336200-1411146291_thumb.j

post-16162-0-03466800-1411146292_thumb.j

post-16162-0-56207100-1411146292_thumb.j