Mineral spirits befor polyurethane???

Cmac2008

Ok I have red oak face frames sanded to 220 and oil stained... They have set in my shop for awhile and collected some dust... I don't have the best luck using tack cloth to remove dust... I've read different things on people using mineral spirts to remove dust after stained... Will the MS mess up the stain????

I avoid compressed air in a situation where you are in a room without properly drafted air. The dust will go airborne and will eventually settle back into your next coat of wet finish. You also run the risk of disturbing other settled dust and sending that into the air as well. For a stained piece with some grit on the surface, I take a gray scotch bright pad and gently rub the surface evenly. It will not remove pigment, it will only remove surface imperfections. Avoid cloths or towels that can leave lint trapped in the wood fibers. Vacuum the surface and apply your first coat of finish. Now you have a film where you can safely de-nib in the event dust lands in your finish between coats. 

• Like 1