Removing Tables from PJ -882HH Jointer

Matt S

I am in the market for a new jointer. Debating over the 60HH and the 882HH. I have a basement shop so the logistics of getting it in the basement will factor in my decision. Whichever I choose I will have to hire movers.

The 882 is a pretty heavy machine to move to a basement. I think the move is doable if I take the tables off to lighten the load.

Has anyone removed the tables from the 882? How difficult were they to remove? Do they assemble easily? Any tips or recommendations are appreciated. Thank you.

The difference is essentially whether you want parallelogram tables or dovetailed tables. I have used both and MUCH prefer dovetailed tables. (So go with the 60HH) The parallelogram tables will become unsquare over time and will need to be readjusted. The dovetailed tables essentially require you to hit the machine with a piece of heavy equipment before the tables will become unsquare once properly adjusted. If that happens it takes a lot more effort to make them square (you need wedges etc) but you just need to avoid doing things like backing a forklift into the darn thing.

Both will come in a state needing to be assembled. Professional movers will get them safely to your basement without too much trouble assuming your basement door is standard size.