Woodworking and Magic

Fxguy

Hey everyone! 

Wondering if anyone has any information or links on some resources for combining my love for woodworking with my love for Magic? I'd like to find a book that teaches how to think (dangerous I know! :-) LOL ) about designing new magic tricks that I could use my woodworking skills to build. 

Anything out there like this? 

Magicians never reveal their secrets, correct? Such a book may be hard to find....

That being said, they few illusions I have seen explained usually involve pretty simple boxes / furniture, but often have false bottoms or compartmemts. Lots of flocking or velvet lining to absorb light and disguise the interior parts.

• Like 1

Magicians never reveal their secrets, correct? Such a book may be hard to find....

That being said, they few illusions I have seen explained usually involve pretty simple boxes / furniture, but often have false bottoms or compartmemts. Lots of flocking or velvet lining to absorb light and disguise the interior parts.

While yes I do agree that Magicians never reveal their secrets, there is something to be said that most illusions follow certain guidelines and many of the "gimmicks" are pretty similar. I guess I'm looking at it more from an engineering / design standpoint. So if they do use false bottoms or compartments, what are some ways to incorporate those false bottoms and compartments into different projects? What about locks and mechanical contraptions? 

Larger illusions would focus more on carpentry: figuring out how to construct crates so that hatches, doors, sleeves, drops, and more will not show up is a big part of it.  The skill the illusionist contains is more on making the wonder than the performance of the "patter" in between.

The secret most magicians will admit to (it's been widely published, and presented in a variety of sources) is the art of disillusion.  In short, making someone watch the left hand, when the right hand is doing something else.

Having worked with, on, and in some magic tricks and illusions, I cannot say any more.  If you want to find more, I'd suggest checking with the local high schools to see if any of them have a magic club that might have some resources they can lend to you.  You might have to join the performing troupe, however.  (And watch out for those fine print clauses.... wouldn't want your hard work disappearing in a puff of smoke!)