Does anyone bonsai?

Eric.

These stumps are literally a dime a dozen. Grind one. If it dies, pay attention to what browns first. Document your grind with photos. You'll find you figure things out rather quickly if you know how plants grow.

One other thing, that stump was available because it was hardy enough to not die when cut off ten inches above the ground. Grinding the wrong place may not kill it

• Like 2

One of the basic things I learned is that trees do not transport water and sap around the tree. So the left side roots feed the left side of a tree.

What he did was leave sections of the live cambium layer to feed the live branches on either side and sculpt the wood between them.

The stuff he is doing is pretty advanced. Learning how to repot and prune the roots, prune and wire the canopy and care for a bonsai is where you need to start.

It's really just organized plant torture. It does take a good eye to be able to visualize your goal when you start .

Nice little ficus, Steve.  Has a good nebari.  Are you planning to do any wiring?

Yeah Carus, that Graham guy has fantastic tubes.  I watched all of them.  There's a lot of good youtube stuff on bonsai, and I've been sifting through it.  This is another good channel...

https://www.youtube.com/user/bjorvalabonsai/videos

I lost an auction yesterday for the pair of Yoshio Naka books...Bonsai Techniques I and II, which are supposed to be the Bible for bonsai.  My bid of $220 wasn't enough. :blink:  A LOT of learning yet to do, but I've committed myself to starting this hobby.  It's too cool not to get into.  Have to do it.  I need to build myself a work station and some storage/display areas, set up a watering system, buy some tools and wire and pots and soil and fertilizer and on and on...then I'll start looking for a few trees.