[update: pics] School me on cremation urn making

Rick A McQuay

I've been asked to make an urn for a friend's father. The woodworking skills I have covered and the rule of thumb is 1 cubic inch per pound though I will make it oversize just in case. The mortuary has given me the maximum allowable dimensions. It will most likely be box shaped (hexahedron) and not turned, but turning isn't out of the question; hasn't been decided yet.

Beyond that I'm not sure what is "proper" or usual. This urn will be used in a short military ceremony then an internment, so presumably it will never be seen again. So for example. 

1. Should it have a liner of some sort?
  2. Does it matter if the inside is finished? I would guess no since no one will ever see the inside except a mortician.
  3. Should I seal the joints with anything? Doesn't seem necessary.
  4. Assuming it's a box, are screws sufficient for closing up the box? Opening will be on the bottom.
  5. Anything I haven't asked about? Or recommendations?

For the bottom I'm thinking an inner lid with a rabbet that will set into the box then an outer cover that will screw on. Or is that too complicated and just stick with one lid?

Thanks.

I built a humidor [since I smoke cigars], and I told my wife, who already knows I'm to be cremated, that she should give any remaining cigars to a friend , who also smokes cigars, and use the humidor  for my ashes.  I've ordered a small brass hinge and lock for it already.  As for size? It holds 120 50 ring by 6 1/2 in cigars.   I'm a big guy, so it should work.

post-15288-0-35954300-1411434069_thumb.j

Richard, Before they put you in this box a hundred years from now, try the Cusano cigar. Comes in both the Connecticut & Maduro

Thank's Mr C... Already tried them, got a couple from my source as a try and buy deal.... Passed.. $$.....A hundred years more?   With all you guys and gals, tempting but I don't want to be 172 when I die... doesn't have a nice ring to it, I think an easily divisable number is better, 80, 90, 100.... No more than that... Because everyone of you will want to know the secret....  Clue:   Made in Tennessee, natural spring water, white oak barrels and a dry county!

• Like 1

The only thing to worry about is the dimensions.

You have the one c.i. per pound down, that is what I've heard too. But, I'm talking about outside dimensions. If the box is to be buried in a cemetery, outside dimensions are not a concern. If it is to be displayed on a mantel or something that size should be taken into consideration. But, if it is to go into a columbarium as my ashes are, the maximum outside dimensions need to be known. 

In my case I will be buried in a wall at our church and when I checked about it, the urn can not exceed 6" wide x 5" tall and 9" deep. This if course affects the inside dimensions and wall thickness of the urn. However, I have also learned that not all ashes and bone fragments will be included after cremation anyway. 

Just something fairly important to be taken into consideration.

Rog

• 1 month later...