Are all T Tracks the same?

bushwacked

Oh wow those are great prices ... Have you used them before?

I never have.  I'm cheap so I just started making my own out of plywood.  

I take a 3/4" thick piece of plywood and cut a dado in it, then I laminate a 1/4" piece over the top.  Next I cut a second, more narrow dado through the 1/4" section, centered on the first dado. 

Most brands have a the dual track. The woodpecker's design is a little different with how it attaches to the top, which is why I went with them

http://www.woodpeck.com/combotrack.html

Do other systems have issues getting caught on the screws that are securing the rail? Then woodpecker solved it by securing underneath the track?

Do other systems have issues getting caught on the screws that are securing the rail? Then woodpecker solved it by securing underneath the track?

Not necessarily.  as long as the counter sink is deep enough and you are not running something along the bottom of the track it shouldn't matter.  It would ease manufacturing as you remove the punching/drilling and counter sinking.  It also removes edges, and if you have loose things like sawdust in there it could give an easier place to catch on.

Of course the downside is that it uses more material.  It would also give you more capacity to adjust the exact angle of the track as you will have more play in it.  Of course it then gives one more thing that can get out of adjustment.

• 5 years later...
On 9/23/2014 at 11:49 AM, bushwacked said:

Oh wow those are great prices ... Have you used them before?

I have been looking and comparing. The ones from Orange aluminum are a great price but comparing oranges to oranges they are really light on top part of track and their shipping will be a deal killer. All the track companies have specification drawings to compare. Kreg and Rockler are close spec wise but Rockler blows out Kreg with their track kit deals.