$199 Bandsaw Scientific Study and Review

wouldwurker

Vinny - I think your review is well written and hits the point that many seem to miss.  A tool that can get the job done is better than no tool at all.

Would I rather spend my money once?  Sure.  But my once might not be as big a budget as someone else.

It's been said time and time again, lots of really nice stuff has been made by some with a limited amount of tools, tools that are the same budget or quality, or with a lack of the "proper" tools.  

Good on you for doing what you felt comfortable with and will help you get the job done.  Thanks both for reviewing the tool honestly and for reminding us of which part of what we do is important - exercising a craft that looks for results.

• Like 2

Well, as a woodworker on a budget... Who am I kidding, as a broke woodworker, I saved my pennies and bought a 14" masterforce on clearence for about $300, quite the upgrade from a $80 10" delta I inherited from my dad. I'd still like to have a nice 3hp Laguna, but that masterforce cuts wood, even does a little resawing. I got caught up in all the guys talking about brand x is sooo much better than anything, and it a computer controlled, laser guided, do hicky that uses a rocket motor out of a HARM missile to keep the wheel coplanar...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Great post.  Not just about the bandsaw, but the moral of the story being "a tool is better than no tool."

I get stuck a lot in the analysis part of buying with the many questions:

• Is this the best price?
  • Is this the best quality?
  • What's the best quality I can afford?
  • Will I use this on every project in the future, or just the projects I'm doing right now?
  • How many times do I need to watch that YouTube review before I decide already?!

However, this post set my mind at ease.  Sometimes it's better to not over-analyze a tool purchase.  I haven't regretted one yet, so chances are I won't regret my next one.

I think this is also a story of knowing what the tool is and isn't capable of.  In general, with band saws, if the wheels spin true, and you have a good blade, you can do a lot with them.  I had a couple different 9" bandsaws.  The biggest use those saws had were with workshops we did for our cub scouts with the pinewood derby cars.   Those saws cut a LOT of those cars.  When my son aged out of cub scouts, I started taking woodworking more seriously as a hobby.  While I used the small band saw for awhile, I reached the limitation of what I could do with it, and I bought a 14" band saw that I am very happy with. 

The band saw is an example of a machine that can be very functional in the small sizes.  Just about the only thing I didn't expect it to do was resawing.  

Just for comparison, I would not recommend following this same model when it comes to table saws.  I would much rather see someone spend $100-$200 on craigslist contractor saw (cast iron top, belt drive motor) then see them spend $300-$400 on a new jobsite saw.  While I have seen some very nice work done on jobsite saws, the difference between using the two is night and day, and have a very limited life span when compared to bigger saws.

Well, I pulled the trigger on a harbor freight model, ran about 10 board feet through it before I had to go to a Christmas, hobby and craft show in Indianapolis. I bought an extra set of blades for it, but so far, I am super impressed with its performance especially for $300 for a planer and an extra set of blades.