What jigs for every shop?

bushwacked

I am curious if you would say any certain type of jigs would almost be a necessity for every shop? I know most jigs come from not having certain equipment or doing something unique ... but I was just sitting here drawing out some jigs I am going to create this weekend and it got me to thinking about everyone else.

I am going to make a straight edge, router, and a 45 degree inlay jig ... I know the last would not be a necessity in every shop but I think the first 2 would be very helpful.

Plus I am also assuming most people dont have a jointer/planer as well .. like myself

I'm of the same opinion as the others, build the jig when you have a need for it....though I do tend to keep them as opposed to tossing them.

I'm a hobbyist still in the early stages of learning, but so far I've built (in order of how valuable/useful):

1.  cross-cut sled: in my opinion a must have for just about any shop.  I use mine on nearly every project

2.  Circular Saw Guide:  Basically a straight edge screwed down to a piece of MDF, the saw base runs along the straight edge.  Saves me lots of time setting up when breaking down sheet goods.  Line the edge of the guide up with the cut line and go.

3.  Miter sled:  I've been making a lot of picture frames, and its been a life saver.  Mitered corners come out perfect every time with no set up time.  1000% improvement over trying to do it on my CMS.

4.  Tapering Jig:  Made it to cut tapers on some legs for an entry way table I'm building

5.  Router Mortise jig:  Used it a couple times, but am not really happy with the design.  Plus I've realized I can do the same thing quicker (set up wise) on the router table instead of free hand

Next up is probably going to be a spline jig so I can start incorporating splines into my picture frame corners.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I noticed that nobody mentioned the box joint jig. I've made hundreds of them over the years. I've always thought I'd one day make a permanent one. But I never can seem to get around to it. Instead I end up knocking out a quick temporary one and tossing it when the drawers are finished.

I made one and then never got to a project to use it..  Been so long now, I hope I can find it when I need it.

I have some jigs I made for doing certain tasks when building guitars, However the jig that gets the most use is my table saw cross cut sled. For cleaning up edges and doing quick repeatable cuts nothing is more perfect for this task. If you wanna make it even more versatile, make the sled have the ability to make certain angled cuts. I used my Incra Miter 5000 sled for making angle blocks to do 11.25, 15, 18 degree cuts for segmented ring pieces for when I'm gonna turn something segmented. Another useful jig would be my centering jig which is nothing more than a piece of MDF with a lazy susan spinner with another piece on top, with a straight stick to point in one spot to help locate my rings so they are as balanced and centered as possible.

I have to say a router sled or router flattening sled and rails. I have two 6' pieces of corian counter top material that I use as rails and a 54" router sled made from 1" MDF(All I had at the time). I know that most projects only need a faction of the width but I have it available should I ever need to flatten a big 5" thick live edge table top. 

A piece of 1/4" MDF and an exact 1" thick scrap of wood the height of your fence. Very handy to keep double angled rip cuts from slipping under the fence. I just set the rip 1" over the desired size and crank the blade up through the 1/4" base. Great for ripping laminate as well. Either drill holes to bolt it to your fence or use some clamps above the thickness of the part being ripped.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...