just too much cool things to try

Gary Gilbert

So I am starting to dive in in to this hobby hardcore I started to look at turning videos, then I found about veneering and that subject brings up Marquetry..  ho many of you dive in and dabble in all fields or to you just tackle one thing.. I know for one turning takes some real skill and time to learn and do well.  I think I find my self like a kid in a toy store wanting to buy everything that I could use on that aspect but I know i need to be grounded to just to learn one skill set at a time..  sorry rant over ..

Whew...... If it were me just staring out, I'd learn some of the basic's and get pretty good at them! And as you learn, you'll find that you'll almost automatically branch out and learn many things and ways to work them into what you want to do.  Jumping into something is often a good way to learn one thing. And that will work if you only want to do one sort of thing... Specialize in turning, and you might miss out on joinery.  But it's you that has to determine your passion and do what you need to do to become the best at it.   Good luck!

If I were you I would figure out what you want to make and start working on the skills needed to make it, and or attempt to do it depending on available resources.

For example, I actually got into woodworking because I just wanted a cuttingboard (I like to cook). After making that I was quite surprised how much I liked woodworking and went from there. Each project has been because I needed something. A picture frame, a small stool, a tea box, etc etc. Your skills will grow as you continue to make things. So just start with whatever you want to make.

I know for one turning takes some real skill and time to learn and do well. 

um....

I'm by no means a talented turner.  One thing I love about turning is that there are so many aspects of it.  And it does not take any particularly measurable skill to start.  Start with a pen kit, for example, and just see what you can turn out.  (sorry, pun intended)  Get a couple of chunks of firewood, break them down (by tool), and just see what you can make.  By turning a couple of dowels into .... things.... you discover what some tools can do, and then progress quickly through the levels until you achieve a level you are comfortable with.

After you've moved up from a basic pen, you can get involved with an inlay kit, and then make your own stuff like the inlay Celtic knot bread pins.  Inlay within a bread rolling pin requires both turning and "normal" wood working skills like cutting to a line, squaring up stock, regluing and clamping, and more.

But that's my realm, and you don't have to follow it.

You might also consider taking a class at a local Woodcraft or Rockler to find out more of what you are interested in.  I'd recommend the "Introduction to" tool classes, to see what you can do with stuff.  Nice thing about turning is you can get away with a small lathe and 3 tools to start.... (but then you face the woodworker bug, and you feel the need to get more: more tools, more wood, more knowledge...)

Welcome to the fun!

i think the bug hit me when i need a few tools to fix some stuff around the house.. i mess with concrete countertops and things so i need a new table saw to make mold boxes and to learn the skills needed i turned to you tube to watch some of the channels. I found my self leaning more to the art side of wood working and trying to make it and wood working style come togeather in a arts type of way. I will make simple idea i had. lets say i was asked to make a custom fireplace surround and wanted to do some form of inlays.  not with just simple oak but the fine stuff like exotics . well if the client does not have the price point to spend for a full wood inlay  then i figured i could do a inlay with a veneer instead giving the client what they want plus saving a little money. I would love to go to a big tool show, wood workers meetup , I not found any in my area. as for as going to a store like rocklers and woodcraft they are far away like 4-5 hours drive one way..  so far I have been collecting tools off of craigs list to build up my collection of small stuff.  

+1 to what Apple Wood said. I started out as a DIY home owner, most of my tools geared toward basic carpentry and trim work. Watched a lot of Norm and Roy. Finally started messing around with small hardwood projects, which whetted my apetite for something bigger. The 'dive' came when I was able to acquire a decent table saw and a sort of decent jointer, both used. I tried building a shaker end table out of walnut from a local hobby sawmill, and it took all summer, but I learned a lot of skills and techniques. I also learned that I needed a thickness planer! I was lucky enough to score a DW735 from Craigs List for half the price of new. My next project from rough lumber went much faster. Not only because of the tools, but also because of the confidence I had in my new skills. Now I can't wait to find the next challenge!

• Like 1

I have been turning/little carving for 5 years now. Got started as a shop teachers aid. But I quickly realized that I didn't have the space at home for a full shop but I did have room for a lathe and a carving bench bandsaw, scroll saw ect... so I started folcusing on that and as time has progressed I have begun to focus on specific skills including stone inlay and decorative scroll saw work. If you do get into lathe work let me know I'll try and walk you through the tools you need. A lot of which you can make yourself with a minimum of equipment. Don't get sucked into buying lots of tools instead buy some specific tools and the rest make. The nice thing about turning is you dont need lots of tools or equipment you can take a chunk of fire wood and some very basic tools and make a completed project in a few hours all in a space the size of a dresser.

Let me know how I can help

• Like 1

Gary - Regarding marquetry, or any skill set within the genre, it's another tool in your toolchest (pun intended).  You may find that you want to incorporate it into future projects....or, devote a lifetime to it....or, you'll hate it and never look back. 

I took a marquetry class a while back and loved it.  While I haven't put it to use in a project since, I certainly could if I wanted to, which is always nice to know. 

Plus other foundations of skill that are picked up along the way, and learned from by way of mistakes, (measuring, finishing, gluing, sanding, general safety), boost the learning curve with every new skill set you acquire.

Start making.  Chances are, every new project will incorporate at least one new skill that you'll pick up.  Arrows in your quiver, man.

• Like 1

Have you ever seen Plinko on the "Price is Right? They drop the hockey puck thing and it bounces around and eventually finds its way to where it will settle.  There are many things that can lead us to wood working - a friend, relative, school shop, or a necessity (wife-"please build me a serving tray"), a contractor building houses who says I'd like to try building furniture, or maybe it is a project that captivates us and we timidly say 'I think I can build that...'.  No matter how you found this hobby/passion/profession you've walked through a portal and you see enough things you'd like to try and build that makes you just know you don't have enough years left - even if you're only 20. You're like the Plinko thing bouncing and finding its way.  My advice is to look for what gets your juices going.  Learning Hand tools? Building Furniture? Boxes? You'll begin here, and dabble there until you find what you like and that will be unique to you. You must find your own way grasshoppa'....be aware...wear safety equipment....anything sharp (i.e.chisels) or anything with a cord is to be looked at as a rattlesnake - one moment of complacency and you're toast. Besides that....ask yourself "what blows air up my skirt???" and go!

• Like 1

I think the first  project i want to tackle is a desk box for my batteries.  since i don't have a table saw as of yet just the very basics i might skip the hand tools and just build it for fun and when i get better I will revisit the project.. the other thing is I am rebuilding my pool fence since the horse broke threw it . we are doing it all the way with new boards and posts..  the org. was made with thick decking boards. so i figure just run them threw a planner. the wife asked if i could make benches and maybe a pool box or even seating area on the upper deck..  there is so much wood there i would hate to throw it away.. I have tons of ideas and plans just my skill level is not up to par as of yet..  

You don't need a table saw to do wood working.  I know, because I don't have one.  While my class schedule doesn't allow me much time to do wood working, and my finances won't let me buy a lot of stock, you can still get a lot accomplished with hand or hand-held tools.  I had a project stall because I need to find the control knob for my plane: need to trim a finished panel down to size because I cut it 1/8" too long.  But I cut it with a circular saw.

Have another project I'm working on (winter/holiday gift type) that will only use a jig saw.  (Except the jig saw is 40 years old... so I'm babying it through the project.)

Completed a large table using only a circular saw and a drill.  Not pretty, but sturdy and functional, and learned a lot.  (Namely, I lose patience with projects when the geese and bees come around.  And I get anxious to see how something turns out, so I rush cuts just to get to dry assembly.)

But it's through these projects I've learned something about myself, and how I can address them in my wood working.  For rushing through a project, sometimes it helps to do a sub-assembly.  (on the table, I rushed the aprons, so that created some fit issues, and rushed screwing the legs in, so I only drilled one side of the leg, creating racking.)  But I learned.  

For the fence, I'd suggest before buying a planer, you get a magnet or stud finder, and spend a lot of time looking for metal bits from nails or staples (or bbs, or any metal.)  I'd suggest breaking the boards down slightly by hand (tool box saw, not handplane) to manageable sizes.  (And maybe teach that horse to hold a tool box; if it is going to create a mess for you to clean up, it's going to have to be part of the solution.)

If your horse is a jumper, there's not much you'll be able to do.  I'd suggest more of a rail fence than picket fence, as it will be cheaper and easier to reassemble/fix when the horse does this again.  (And you better believe he's going to try... everybody loves a pool.)