Does anyone enjoy a good ramen noodle soup?

pghmyn

I say the term loosely, as many will think of the $0.20 packets from the grocery. There is a difference when it comes to the more expensive types. Even though still not really expensive at $1.70/bag, the broth is significantly more flavorful, and so are the noodles.

But, nothing compares to a real restaurant bowl of ramen, yakisoba, yakiudon, or even Vietnamese pho. Anyone else enjoy a good Asian noodle dish?

I love good noodles.  Unfortunately they make me extremely fat so I try to avoid them most of the time.  There's a Thai place nearby that makes Pad Thai you'd punch a baby for.  I could live on that stuff but I'd look like Jabba the Hutt in a few months.

I can't believe I forgot about Pad Thai! I have a place here that I feel like your analogy couldn't explain it any better. Spicy, eggy, shrimpy, and amazing.

"There's a lotta things to eat here in Japan

And I've tasted every noodle that I can

But for good old fashioned eatin'

There's a dish you can't be beatin'

When you buy it from a kitchen where there is a soba man."

3 Mustaphas 3, "Soba Song", Soup of the Century (you've got to imagine it being sung country western style - think Roy Rogers)

One thing I like about Philly.  True story: I was walking home and a car full of people stopped to ask me for directions.  They were meeting friends at a Thai restaurant, but they didn't know the name of the restaurant or the address.  (This was before cell phones.)  They asked me if I knew of a really good Thai restaurant in the neighborhood.  I said that I knew of several; they'd have to narrow it down.  They said, "It's next to an Indian restaurant."  When I stopped laughing, I said, "You may not believe it, but that doesn't narrow it down much."  They conferred for a while, then said, "It's across from a police station."  "Oh, that one.  It's on Chestnut near 41st."

• Like 1

We have Vietnamese, (2) Thai, and a Tibetan restaurant on Main St! Great stuff! One of my favorites is "Drunken Noodles" from one of the Thai places, hot enough to make my ears itch, but still very flavorful.

Those hot noodles will get you on the way in, and on the way out :)

My fiancé always rips on me when I eat spicy food. At the end of the night, I sound like a coyote howling in the woods.

• 3 weeks later...

Our Ramen in Oakland will give SF a run for it's money.. Actually, there are a couple in the penninsula too that are revered more than anything in SF. I lived in SF for 10 years, and there is great everything, but ramen seems to be the one that's slightly behind the surrounding areas. But it's funny to read the OP again ... our ramen shops sure as shhh do not cost anything close to $2!  :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...