The small shop at the moment

bushwacked

Well going off the other small shop convo I figured it was time to show my small shop.

I do have a question on sound dampening since I'm in an apartment garage .. Is it even possible in an apartment garage where heavy modding is frowned upon?

As I've mentioned before a lot of this is due to an amazing brother in law ...

post-16151-14116910006265_thumb.jpg

post-16151-1411691045059_thumb.jpg

post-16151-14116910591118_thumb.jpg

post-16151-14116910696363_thumb.jpg

post-16151-14116910847441_thumb.jpg

I have found that in such small spaces EVERYTHING has to be mobile!! I think I have found a happy medium of where everything is and what I have to move around to work with certain things ...

No I have not since I figured it would be very hard to do without heavy modification to the walls to the apartment. So I was thinking more along the lines of the house. But if this is something I can do with minimal attachments I would be interested.

Do you have any pics or links to what you are talking about. Having a hard time visualizing that

No photos at the moment. What I have in mind is basically a free standing frame with maybe some 1/4" plywood on it, to which the sound absorbing material is attached. If you can afford the floor space, it coukd have "feet" and stand completely on its own. At worst, it is a thin panel that rests on the floor and maybe has a screw or two holding it to the wall at the top. Imagine office cubical panels. To deaden sound INSIDE the shop, you need soft surfaces that don't reflect the sound waves back to you. Think pleated curtains of heavy fabric like a movie theater, or the panels of egg crate foam like a recording studio. An insulating material, like foam, is better to prevent transmitting sound OUTSIDE the shop.

You could always make some 1/4" ply panels or even 1/8" hardboard with sound deadening medium on as wtn as suggested and fix it to the walls using velcro or the thick foam type double stick tape. Removal should be easy with care when you have to reinstate the garage back to its initial state.