G'day from Adelaide Australia

Yanis

Hi all,

John here from Adelaide Australia. I have jsut restarted after many years of just doing the absolute necessary. I was taught in school and was alos helped by an older brother but it has been many years since I did any serious woodworking.

I moved to this new place about 3 years ago and the shed was a real mess. 15mx7m (50x22 ft) and I recently bought several tens of meters of steel shelving and spent many days in there getting the shed into a useable state. The previous owner was a builder and he left a LOT of stuff behind with a lot of mess as well.

Over the years I have embarked on the odd project including several floating floors, some flat pack kitchen cupboards but nothing really serious in terms of proper woodworking. I also do metalworking and of course there is the general farm work to consider :).

In terms of tools I have a smattering of general hand tools, some of which I inherited from my father (a really nice old routing plane for instance) and some of which I inhereted from my wife's uncle. I also found a Stanley 110 block plane in a pile of rubbish (literally) left behind by the previous owner, which I cleanerd up but that is another story.

For power tools I have a Jet table saw I picked up for $200 from and old neighbour, a 1.5 hp dust extractor, a Bosh sliding mitre, a Roybi table saw (in need of brushes) a Dewalt table top (jet powered!) thickneser, drill press (two) and a lathe.

So far I have been just building my skills by wathching and listening to all for Mark and Matts back catallogue, subscribing to Fine Woodworking and building shed projects. I am building a series of boxes from 12mm ply for storage in the steel shelves and I also built Mark's outfeed table for the table saw. The table saw also came with a side table but it was a sheet of mdf resting on a card table on small castors. I made a new top using 12mm ply and 10mm threaded rod through the table with nuts to adjust the top's height. Works like a treat and I can use the side or outfeed tables as assembly tables or move them both easily if required.

So far I am really enjoying getting out into the shed and making things. I think my first serious project will be a new kitchen so any ideas and thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

I think the most important skill I have learnt since I started woodworking agin is sharpening. I have a series of 320 to 6,000 grit water stones and I am gradually getting all of my planes and chisels up to shinny. Again some of which I inhereted from my dad who was a cabinetmaker.

My favourite tool is a Lee Neilson block plane. I went to buy a new blade for the Stanley 110 and came back with a new Lee Neilson low angle, go figure :) and I am loving it. It is my favourite tool.

Back to my day job now.

• 1 month later...