Dust Collection Update Sept 2014

toddclippinger

It was one year ago that I converted my single stage dust collector into a two stage system. In this video I share the final tweaks and changes to my dust collection system. 

Find out some of the things I did that worked, and did not work, as I modified my dust collector. 

I hope that by sharing my experience, others will find it helpful as they make decisions for their own dust collection system.

I am not affiliated with or compensated in any way by Oneida, I simply like the product and am providing this link for your convenience to see the Super Dust Deputy that I purchased. Click here to see the Super Dust Deputy that I purchased at Oneida's site. At the time of this posting, it appears that the unit I purchased actually is $20 cheaper than what I paid originally.

Your Friend in the Shop,

Todd A. Clippinger

Share the Love~Share the Knowledge

I have an old Jet 2 HP dust collector with an "air ramp" - a spiral vane which directs the air into the collection bag.  I'm planning remove the air ramp with a sawzall, and replace it with a Thein separator in the same space.  Also, replace the bag with a Wynn HEPA filter.

I have this crazy idea of using the Wynn filter as an air cleaner, also.  The Wynn folks said that the filter was originally designed to be an air cleaner, so it should work fine.  I just have to figure out how to design it so the dust collector air doesn't blow out through the air cleaner fan, and visa versa.

Also, all of this is on hold until I can find some tuits.  I need several round tuits for this job.

John - The sanding machine has two 4" ports on the hood. I tied this to a 4" Y and it connects to the 4" mainline that goes into the cyclone. 

One other upgrade option I had thought about doing was upgrading the main line to a 5" or 6" pipe, but I just need to get going on some other things right now and am not going to put the time nor money into at the moment. 

If I follow through with that upgrade, I will be posting the results of that too;)

Thanks for the video Todd...funny thing, wile on vacation last week, I was sitting on the porch, watching the humming birds and I was contemplating converting to a two stage system and using...you guessed it...one of the three Brute trash cans that I have....won't be going that route so thanks! I have a 1 HP DC that I have positioned upstairs in the detached 2 car garage shop.  It has an upstairs.  I have the entire DC system ducted with 4" pvc with a couple of 4" electrical sweeps for the turns.  I convert to flex close to the machines.  I've thought of buying or building a cyclone and also maybe building a Thein and using the DC with NO bags at all to increase air flow.  Would you think any of these separators work well enough to catch all of the particulates? Most? Down to X# Microns? Thanks

TimWood - Personally, I would not recommend using either system without a bag. 

I had looked into building a Thein, in my research most people had positive comments. The biggest thing that was at advantage to buying a cyclone pre-made was that all I had to focus on was building the cart and modifying the system with a simple reconfiguration.

As a business, that was worth a lot to me.