Seasoning the smoker

Mzdadoc

I got a random txt from my mom asking would I like a smoker. She knows my wife and I love to cook together. I said of coarse!!! She was watching QVC and thought the smoker looked awesome. So less then a week and here it is. I got it all together and now it's on the deck seasoning.

I can't wait to start smokin!!!!!

Anyone have any secret GREAT rubs or any smoker knowledge to share?

I have the masterbuilt 30" and I love it.I'm a total newbie at smoking but I found "how to bbq right" on youtube and tried his way and they turn out great every time.He's pro competition smoker with great video's.One help full tip I can give you is to put alum. foil on the water pan and the drip pan,makes clean up much easier.Also use apple cider vinegar to clean the inside.Have fun and happy smoking!!

p.s. I bought his rub and his sauce and they are outstanding!!

I use pecan or hickory for pork and oak with a scrap of mesquite for beef as the latter can get overwhelming. Look to Oakridge for rubs. Mike is a great guy and the rubs are superb. The Black Ops Brisket Rub is amazing. If you like spicy he has a product called Habanero Death Dust that is wonderful. Enjoy your smoker. Pork butt is a good item to start with as it is pretty much something that can't get screwed up.

Briquettes are crushed charcoal and clay binders to glue it together . Lump charcoal is pieces of wood that have been charred in a furnace, pure charcoal , no additives, better heat, better taste!

One of the major brands of briquettes was started because Henry Ford was trying to find a use for all the wood scraps from building the Model A ( I think )

Yep, there it was, right next to the briquettes, similar colored bag as the briquettes. I see why I didn't notice it... I was looking for the lowest price :huh:

One thing about this site, you can learn the right woods to mill and the right ones to burn :D

While this is still a hot topic, I bought a torch head and hose from HF and use it connected to a propane tank to light my charcoal. It does a heck of a job but goes thru propane pretty quick. Anyone have better ideas, aside from the smelly charcoal lighter liquid?