Resaw 2 box sides for half the work (finger joints)

wouldwurker

Instead of cutting 8 finger joints in my final thicknessed stock, I used 2x my desired thickness and only cut 4 sides (actually, 3 sides in my case, but for sake of example, imagine I cut 4).

I then resawed my 2 box sides. The result, 4 box sides, at desired thickness, with perfect fitting joints.

This saves a lot of room for error on the other 4 cuts, whereby one mistake could screw up your work. Suppose you could also make all 8 joints on 2x the desired thickness, resaw, and have 2 boxes.

Thick boards

6e9258a49b58d60e671022b2744819d6.jpg

Grrrripper and stabilizing block for resawing

aac0802160e3e8091a589c104101139e.jpg

4 perfect fitting pieces (imagine I first finished the cuts on that shorter piece)

f54ca2935a9874c5431bb5dbf099cd0d.jpg

Well, I guess that works. A very interesting way of doing it.

I generally thickness my wood first and then use double sided carpet tape to sandwich two equal sides together and cut the finger/box joints on the two sides at the same time to keep everything equal. Then separate the sides afterwards. I think that I could keep the proud fingers a bit closer to size that way too. 

Also, on smaller boxes like this, I cut the finger joints on my scroll saw..... It works for me. :)

Joeshomecomunionbox002_zpsd00046ee.jpg

Rog

Oooh that's pretty.

All in all, I think the oh $&@% factor with the ts blade that high isn't worth the effort. I like your idea better, Rog.

Thank you vinnyjojo  but, to be honest, I thickness my boards the same way as you do. I just do it BEFORE cutting the finger joints.

I resaw a thicker board on the tablesaw and then run it through the planer to get even thickness and smooth faces before cutting pieces to size.

I just raise  the blade about an inch or so at a time until I cut not quite half way through on each edge and then finish it up with a hand saw. By making several passes and keeping the same face of the board toward the fence and using a finger board, I don't consider this procedure all that dangerous. 

Granted, a bandsaw is faster and maybe safer but, not having a bandsaw or even room for one, I've been resawing on the table saw for years. 

Buy the way, the picture is the BACK side of a traveling communion box that I just finished for a Deacon of our church. I used that picture to show the finger joints better. Here is the front of the box.....

Joeshomecomunionbox001_zps2976d2ff.jpg

Rog