25k wood shop help

DavidHoller

Hello,

I'm new here, I am married and have 4 kids under 9 years old. 

My job is interesting. I'm building a salvaging business and and a wood workshop- I have no background with ether profession. So I spend allot of time reading, implementing ideas, making mistakes and learning not to make that mistake again.

I am needing some help. I have been tasked with setting up a wood shop with a budget of 25K. The shop will be located in a basement with around 15k sqft of usable space. The 25k setup would not include any part of the building.

I have been apart of forums in the past where someone would join and ask the grandiose question "what do I need to do XYZ" the next two pages where flames with allot of recommendations of using the search option and Google. I am currently talking to some local shop owners, doing my own web research and now asking this community for some input

The purpose of the shop will be:

To have a core wood working facility that we can always use. I need to be able to make limited runs of flooring, make simple tables out of reclaimed heartpine and make dimensional lumber out of antique wood.

I have been looking at Powermatic, Grizzly and Jet including the Sawstop tables. My budget seems to hovering around those brands. I havnt even looked at hand tools, power tools, fresh air ventilation or sawdust ductwork. 

I am looking for cabinet units not bench-top,This is my list 

Table saw

Table saw automatic feeder- can feeders be moved around?

ban saw- vertical maybe two- one for fine cutting the other would be for general cutting

Sliding chop saw x2

Jig saw

planner

Shaper

Shaper automatic feeder

Jointer

End jointer

Table router x 2

Sander- I have no idea what I would need- vertical belt? 

Drill press

Mortise

Sawdust control per machine- no duct work. I have no idea where to start

I understand there are a plethora of details, I just need a 30,000 ft view of what a core wood shop would need.  

Thanks for your time

David,

It sounds like you have a lot of work a head of you.  A couple things.  Take a class for woodworking, even if it is one at your local Woodcraft.  If you are doing this as profession, and still just learning, it won't hurt to get some direct help from guys how have been doing this for years.

Next, rethink your dust collection solution.  You have a lot of machines that generate a lot of dust.  With what you propose it either sounds like you will have a dedicated collector at each machine, or be moving a smaller one between machines.  Option 1 is going to get very expensive, and Option 2 is going to hinder workflow where time is money for you.  In the long run it is going to be far less expensive to get one good dust collection system and have it ducted to your machines. 

If you are doing flooring, one machine I think will be vital to you is a drum or belt sander.

• Like 1

15000 sqft? That's a lot of room!

25k won't go far for a pro shop. When time is money horsepower is king. I have some retired stuff that needs a new home. Big old delta unisaw 5hp 12-16" blade capacity. I've got an old powermatic 29 shaper too. Needs a fence and some love, but its cheap. I also have tons of carbide shaper heads cheap too. I've got a 5hp cyclone collector. Etc. I'm in Texas if you want to visit my shop a see a small operation with 2-3 guys. Let me know.

Good luck.

Honestly you need to take some classes or work in another shop, or hire people with experience with these machines. I don't want to sound rude, but power feeders and shapers should not be used without some hands on safety instruction. Also, most machines do not come from the factory ready to plug and play. They will need assembly and calibration. Make sure you budget some time and money to get this machines into your basement and set up. Plan on budgeting $2k or so to upgrade your electrical. Most of the bigger machines run on 220 and ideally on a dedicated circuit.

I totally agree with you Mike.

I don't plan on running it,I have nowhere near the experience yall have. I will hire a guy with some experience.

As far as the electrical goes, its a blank slate right now. Anything I need electrically and air wise I can get.. within budget.

I have a bobcat to move stuff around.

Cost for setup and calibration. How much do you think that could cost, 5k for the list I provided?

Just thinking out loud here. 

25k for equipment,

15k for building setup, that's air, ventilation, power, bathrooms office..... 

If you are doing flooring, one machine I think will be vital to you is a drum or belt sander.

Exactly what I was thinking.  For what he is looking at doing, I'd put it fairly high on the list too.  I dont have either, so I dont know; but would it make sense to get 2 of them?  One for a coarse grit and one for a finer grit to prevent having to change sandpaper all the time?