Tool of choice?

kmr91

I am new to woodworking and I am trying to make someone a clock as a Christmas present. I've ordered the clock mechanism and picked out a piece of pine round to use. I was wondering what hand tool would be best to hollow out the back in order to place the clock mechanism in. It is about 3"x3" and 0.75" thick. I've looked online and seen some people recommend gouges and others recommend scorps. Which is the better option?

I've just gone through this:

I don't have a drill capable of turning a forstner bit to do as K Cooper suggested (which I think is probably the best option), so I just used a chisel and mallet and cleaned it up with a router plane at the end.

You're going to be chopping all softwood end-grain, so whatever tool you use keep it as sharp as possible.

Since the space you're creating in the back presumably doesn't have to be round you can probably use a sharp chisel as a cheap choice. If you have a little more dosh and don't mind picking up a lifetime tool, a router plane will surprise and delight all who use it!

Edit: I'd probably avoid the scorp unless you use it in conjunction with another tool. You won't be able to define and edge or really refine the area very well with that tool alone. 

use a brace and bit to hog out the meat, then clean up with a chisel and router plane.

The problem with using a brace and auger bit, is that the threaded screw on the bit is relatively long, and given that you want to end up with about 1/4" thickness there is a real risk of poking through to the face side of the clock, which would destroy the piece - unless you leave a lot of work with the chisel anyway, so it kind of depends on how thick the piece is as to whether it is worth it.

Yeah, if you wanted to torture yourself with hand tools.

*sigh* this IS the hand-tools forum, no torture here ... oddly enough, some of us do prefer half an hour of pastoral woodwork to 17 seconds of industrial noise.