miter saw not cutting square

Gary Gilbert

Yep me again.  I guess simple.  can not get it to cut straight line  at all my boards have a drift .. i checked it with a square. and my bevels and angles are set to zero with a square.  could the blade be warped? this is a old 10" blank and decker unit I will upgrade but just have to push threw with this at the moment... 

Thanks again guys

Gary the noob

If the fence is 90 degrees to the blade, you should be making a straight cut. Below are some things to check.

How long is your work piece?

Do you have the same edge against the fence making both cuts?

Is the work piece flat when being cut?

How thick is the piece being cut?

How new is the blade? If you are unsure of the blade, remove it and verify it is flat using a good straight edge.

• Like 2

i noticed it when cutting 2x4's for fixing my fence. I was doing the cross braces and noticed i had a gaps on the back side of cuts.. i will flip the saw over and check the fence.  i have to keep putting it away each day.. I sure over the five years it might have been low dropped once so that could have also done it.. the blade is the orginal  rusty but sharp.

B&D blade? Holy cow change it! Get a decent blade first then set the fence to 90. The cut should be 90. If not your arbor has run out and the blade is finding the path of least resistance. Some chip saws can't cut absolutely square out of the box. Rough carpentry is fine but precision joinery might be better cut on a legit table saw. I cut small stuff on chop saws and big thick wide parts on a TS.