Got the saw that I want/need

collinb

Just my test before the purchase. Spent the afternoon with the sander. But I did spend a little time playing with the fence. (Is that even legal?). Sure is nice.

Must be, they do it all the time on our southern border. They finally ended up just taking it down completely. OOOOOPS, I think I got off on the wrong tangent

My old direct drive and this new one are both 113 series.  Among the similarities I've noticed is that Sears used a common base among the units.  The old one was a little more solid.  The new one has a little kink in one leg.  That means when I pull it, if it hits a pebble, it gives a little twist.

I'm thinking of either (a) replacing it with an identical in better condition, ( B) taking the wheels off and setting it all on a dolly with its own locking wheels, or © taking the base off entirely and building a wood cart that would include a dust bag underneath as well as larger locking wheels or other solution.

What catches my eye is using floor locks.  They cost but they're better than casters with brakes.

Ideally I'd like a cart with a single-point floor lock that I can step on to lock/unlock.

I've found several of © online but wonder what works best for people around here.

Finally got to use it yesterday.The blade cuts smooth and leave no marks, as when I tested it.

But I must have unknowingly handled it improperly.  An easy fix, the fence rail on the right side front has risen some so that boards will bump its mount when it is very far to the right of center.  Easily adjusted.

And it seems to make more noise than when I tested it.  Time for some investigation.

I built a rolling base for it.  Some lag screws in the corners to hold it solid.  Two of the wheels are locking.  Wheels are 3" so the both roll smooth and lock firmly.

It does stand a bit higher than in the past, but not so much as to be a problem.  For that matter, being just a bit over 6 ft, I find the extra couple of inches practical.

post-16123-0-01331800-1412625092_thumb.j