Mounting hinges to MDF

JohnDi

LOML would like floor to ceiling storage cabinets for the rec room. Since they will be painted, I was thinking of MDF. She would like doors on the cabinets and I'm concerned that the screws won't hold up in MDF.

Should I just use ply or do you think MDF is doable?

I wouldn't use MDF either, but if you do look into "euro screws" or" confirmat screws". They have a bigger body and you must drill very accurate holes to screw them into.

The standard 32 mm system uses a row of 5 mm holes spaced 32 mm apart. The baseplates for concealed hinges screws into these holes. It's not an easy thing to learn if you don't have the correct equipment and some practice.

MDF has a tendency to mushroom up around where a screw is being inserted, even if you use a pilot hole with regular screws.

biscuits and glue work great.

Here's a tip, don't glue the biscuits!
When putting biscuits into MDF just use them for alignment, do not glue them. Put glue on the edge of the mdf, spread it with your finger. Wait 10 minutes, then put more glue on the edge of the MDF and attach it to the wood. It will last forever. The reason you do not glue the biscuits is that the biscuits will absorb glue and other moisture and expand. Which is fine when they are in hardwood, when they are in MDF it makes ugly bulges.

Trust me, I've glued up zillions of MDF panels with wood frames. Glue the wood to the mdf with the twice gluing/waiting 10 minute trick mentioned above. That glue will hold plenty strong enough without putting any glue on the biscuits. The biscuits are only their for alignment purposes.

Secondly, if you want to put screws into MDF to mount hinges or what have you Rockler and other folks make these little plastic inserts. Basically you drill a larger hole than you need in the MDF, then screw this plastic insert in, then you put your mounting hardware screw into the plastic insert. I've used zillions of these too. I promise you're screws will stay in that MDF as long as they would in ply or hardword.

MDF is great for panels or doors which will be painted. But remember the MDF rules.

1 - MDF is not structural. It has to be a panel framed with wooden rails and styles... (only exception is if it's going to be just a door or a drawer front.

2 - Don't put glue on your biscuits in MDF, just use them for alignment.

3 - "Paint" your MDF with a mixture of 50% water and 50% titebond sand lightly and then put on your "real" paint.

4 - Before gluing MDF to anything smear glue on the surface you want to glue up (I use my finger, but they actually sell tools for this) wait 10 minutes and then put new glue on it and glue it up as you normally would.

5 - MDF shelves WILL sag unless you use wooden edges glued as mentioned above.

6 - Use good dust collection or a breather mask (or both) when sanding or cutting MDF, the dust gets in your nose and makes MDF nose plugs, which are gross.

7 - MDF is almost unbeatable for the number of shapes it can take when routed.

I'm not saying MDF is the perfect product it has tons of short comings, what I AM saying is there are a lot of ways to use it in which it works great and it shouldn't be looked down upon any more than plywood.