Winterize - i.e. getting ready for the humidity.

So, here in southwestern Oregon and northwestern California - except for those directly on the coast - we deal with humidity in the winter, not the summer. So, I spent the morning getting ready for the humidity. I gave all my steel and cast iron and nice wipe down and put on a fresh coast of Bullfrog. Power tools and hand tools all get the same treatment. Except my table saw, band saw and jointer also get a Slipit sliding compound treatment as well. What do you do to deal with humidity and rust in your shop? Do you treat your bench plane blades or just the body?

I clear all traces of sawdust from the planes everytime I finish using them for the day. Then give them a light coat of WD40 including the blade. I don't disassemble the planes everytime though. They are stored in a closable cupboard under the bench with some silica gel packs. Any iron based tools get a wipe over with a cloth with some wd40. It's cheap and it works.

All the machinery is coated with Boeshield and also some paste wax. I replenish this occassionally just by spraying some Boeshield over the cast iron parts. That is expensive and also works extremely well but I save it for machinery.

I live in St. Louis so I've pretty much given up and accepted the inevitable.  I'm constantly apply Renaissance Wax to make the slipperies, so that protects it a bit.  Occasionally I'll do a complete cleaning, and I spray a layer of Boeshield for the first coat of protection when I do.  Still doesn't completely prevent rust.  I'm over it.  As long as I don't see pitting, I don't care anymore.

• Like 2

It seems that any type of covering over the table saw that does not allow it to breathe, is risking moisture getting trapped maybe through condensation when there are temperature shifts.  I'm more of a fan of coating it well but allowing it to breathe.  Again, I haven't tried too many things but Johnson's paste wax does here on the South Carolina coast where humidity is often in the 90%+ range.  Lately, I've used the CRC 3-36 and gotten good results but you have to reapply every few weeks if you're using the saw and scrubbing it off.

• 3 weeks later...

If you can avoid the rapid shift in temperature a little wax here and there is all that is needed no matter where you live. If you're the guy that turns on the heat to work in the shop and turns it off when your done, get box fan lots of box fans and keep them running blowing across cast iron. Install a ceiling whatever it take to keep the air moving.