Woodpeckers OneTime

lemiwinks

Anyone have any thoughts about these one time production tools?

Specifically the current production T-square. To me it looks impressive and encompassing what with the ability to mark 32nd of an inch and all. Maybe someone here bought the previous T-square they made back in '12. My issue is, they seem pricey for something a $6 harbor freight combo square accomplishes. Please don't take this as me being stingy, I just want justification for the money!

Anyone have any thoughts about these one time production tools?

Specifically the current production T-square. To me it looks impressive and encompassing what with the ability to mark 32nd of an inch and all. Maybe someone here bought the previous T-square they made back in '12. My issue is, they seem pricey for something a $6 harbor freight combo square accomplishes. Please don't take this as me being stingy, I just want justification for the money!

There are three issues here:

First and most importantly, this is antithetical to handtool woodwork (and most woodwork I would imagine). I do not do joinery with measurements this way. I lay out mortices, tenons, etc either by transferring marks from a work piece, or by scoring with a cutting gauge. Marking each dimension with this square could be a recipe for mistakes.

Secondly, woodworking does not need the accuracy of a machinist's tool. This is their selling point. I have several excellent and accurate squares, plus I think an adjustable double square is far more versatile - my 6" Starrett may also be used to determine depths. A fixed depth square cannot do this.

Thirdly, I am not enamoured with the business model of ordering and paying for an item, and then receiving it several months later. I understand that this makes sense from the side of the manufacturer, but it is a pain for the buyer.

Regards from Perth

Derek

• Like 2

Well, it's shiny. :) Which means I want one. ;)

In all seriousness, I have the woodpecker 36" rule, the little 90 square, and the marking thing you put a pencil in.

I use them more than I ever thought I would. The rule has a center gauge which is handy too.

I do not see the value in a $100 speed square, and some of the other items they sell.

To each his own. They sure are selling those things!

• Like 1

I have several of their tools. The big framing square it awesome. Some of the one time tools are a perfect solution, others seem excessive. I think it comes down to personal choice, some of the tools you might instantly see as a solution to your needs others not so much.

I was sick and tired of thin cheap framing squares getting out from perfect. I took my best try square to the store and was checking the framing squares before I bought one. I saw small errors on every single one. So I waited many months to get the Woodpeckers framing square.

There is a level of quality and functionality to these tools that makes them a joy to use.

• Like 1

My experience with Woodpecker's began with one of the very first PRL lifts made – maybe 1999? (it still has the original QC sticker signed by the company’s founder). In all that time, it’s only had a problem once. When I called for technical help, they said ship it back and, “We’ll take care of it”… Went out the door on Monday and arrived back on Friday… The unit was stripped, ultra-sonically cleaned, every warn part was replaced, every upgrade introduced was retrofitted. Returned looking brand new and has performed flawlessly ever since… No charge and they paid for shipping… That’s the level of service that gets repeat business… And they did…

Since my PRL rebuild, I’ve purchased maybe five or six pieces of their measuring gear – a framing square, a T-square and one or two others – I forget… It’s all manufactured to high-standards and performed flawlessly for over a decade. Does every piece of kit they sell make sense for every woodworker – nope. But then again, neither does gear from BridgeCity, Vesper, BadAxe, Gramercy, Auriou, Starrett, Blue Spruce, Ray Iles, Tasai, Lie-Nielsen, etc, etc…  I’ve got gear from all of them… Do I need esoteric brands to do good work, nope… However, if all my tools came from Harbor Freight, I don’t think I would get quite the same level of satisfaction… YMMV.

<edit>

One area of interest for SAE-centric folks: Many of Woodpeacker's measureing/marking items have both metric and SAE scales... I have a problem thinking in mm/cm, so these measuring/marking items have been a big help...

• Like 1

personally I'd recommend the following as an alternative setup.

for laying out reference lines parallel to an edge, the Incra t-rules are excellent. 

http://www.incra.com/product_t-rules.htm

for laying out lines perpendicular to an edge I'd recommend the stainless square set from peach tree woodworking. They are great if you are like me, and have a high salt content in your sweet.

http://ptreeusa.com/layout_squares.htm (the 6th item down the page)

I have a couple of their one-time tools and honestly they are shinny, cool looking, and at times useful but I still find myself pulling out my combo square or framing square 95% of the time. What attracted me the most was that they are manufactured right here in the states. 

• 3 weeks later...