Epifanes clear varnish

Mzdadoc

I'm reading to finish my Adirondack chairs I made for my wife and I. I sanded to 220 before I took a finish class where I was told now sand with 150 before finish.

What kind of sanding are we talking?

Make pencil marks and sand until gone? Or a simple once over to open pores but not remove a ton of material?

Lastly how can you tell what's enough?

Possible thinning depends on how it's being applied.  Indoors with no breeze there is typically no need to thin the build coats unless it's a half empty can that 's been sitting for a while (the solvents slowly evaporate).  Use a badger style brush and don't over-work it.  There will likely be small bubbles after the initial stroke or two but the film will stay open long enough for them to pop and level out. 

*** Just remember that the more you work the material the faster the solvents evaporate making it more likely that bubbles will not pop and flow out .***

Applying outdoors where there may be a breeze or warm temps is where adding thinner may come into play.  Initial coats should be thinned 50% to ensure a good bond with the wood.  Subsequent coats can be thinned 25% then 10%.  The more solvent you add per coat, the thinner the cured film will be, resulting in needing to apply more coats than if less thinner was used for proper protection.   Vertical surfaces also benefit from thinner coats as there is less likelihood of sags and runs.

You can use Epifanes thinner or mineral spirits from the hardware store.  I think epifanes adds a little kerosene to their mix.  I've found using straight spirits can result in a slightly darker color tone for some reason (which I personally prefer). 

BW’s given you the straight dope… I’ll just add the perspective of a lazy sod…

For outdoor pieces, I seal with a couple coats of CPES (BW uses 206/7 – same diference), then a coat of Epifanes thinned 50%, then a coat thinned 25%, then straight for three more coats… I use RhynoSoft 320 sanding pads between coats: http://www.2sand.com/en/rhynosoft-pads-4-1-2-x-5-1-2-whiteline-individual-320.html. BTW: 2sand has pretty good prices on sanding belts for your wide-belt boys… Norton also makes good sanding sponges, but they are 4x expensive over Rhyno. I only use Norton's on carvings, conservation, etc projects...

BTW: don’t use ScotchBright for inter-coat scuff sanding… I’m not sure how that nonsense got started, but you need to cleave the nibs and establish a scratch pattern – not just move the surface around a bit… SB is great for applying wax to your stationary iron, but not much else... OK, that's not quite fair, white SB is pretty good for final nib removal...

Here’s the lazy part: I add a dollop of JapanD, Epifanes accelerator, whatever: http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=4112&familyName=Epifanes+Accelerator+for+Paint+and+Varnish
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=3995

Point is… I’m too lazy to wait 24+++hrs between coats… I want two coats a day, and some sort of accelerator/dryer is the way to get there. It also helps with temp excursion…

BTW: here’s a project with that schedule:

Have fun...

The Nortons are nice. In a cost-no-object world, that's all I'd use... I just finished a conservation job on a large 18C carved Walnut sideboard -- great beast of a thing... Consumed about $80 in just Norton pads... They really are the best I've used,... RynoSoft are OK, they last quite some time (the real drawback to the Nortons) and about 1/4 the cost of Nortons. I use Rhyno about 80% of the time and keep my supply of Norton for the important jobs...

Assuming they keep color consistant across SKUs (yellow), then you're probably using 320.

The Norton SAnd Dollar disks come in a box or 4 for $24 from my flooring supplier.  the ones I get are 16 inch diameter for my floor buffer.  they're about 1/4 inch thick foam with abrasive on both sides.  on a floor, even if the floor has some irregularities in it, it will not cut in anywhere, scalp high spots, and they leave a perfectly swirl-free finish.   320 sounds about right for the yellow, but I haven't checked anywhere.  my supplier doesn't stock the green ones, which are finer than the yellow, but the yellow leaves an amazing finish quickly on anything ready for another coat.  they last a long time too.